lighting for 29 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debrab1954

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, i have a 29 gal. tank and i am looking for a lighting fixture that will give me about 1.5-2 watts of light. I want to have a planted tank with fish and a glass canopy top, i don't want to have to use co2 so i am looking for something around 2 watts per gal. Can someone give me some suggestions on which fixture to buy? Thanks

Welcome to AA!

1x65W PC will put you around that level - but that's also right around the level where CO2 becomes more necessary.

I'm in the same situation as you are! Other than what neilanh had said about 1x65w PC, I've heard that a 50/50 65W would work... it would give off more of a blue color though. Those are the only options I've heard so far... Let me know if you find any other! :)

Yes, the 50/50 would put you guys at just over 1WPG. This is a good place to start from, but you will be limited on your plant selections.

I would suggest you look at the dual-tube Freshwater T-5 Aqualight from Coralife (now part of Oceanic Systems). The 30" fixture fits over a 29 gallon tank and has two 18W bulbs. I have one of these on a 20 gallon long tank (same length as the 29 gallon tank) and I have a 36" fixture on a 30 gallon tank. They run very cool and I have found them to be very reliable. More information can be found at Oceanic Systems | Products | Freshwater Aqualight T5 Series - Double Linear Strip. They are on sale at Big Al's right now.

Has anyone heard of 2 x 24 T5HO light strip? I am not sure who makes it or who sells them.

When a bulb is referred to as 50/50 it generally means that half the bulb is daylight and half is actinic. Actinics are generally considered to be neither beneficial or harmful in a freshwater aquarium. Some feel that the Actinic lighting doesn't contribute at all to plant growth, others feel that in only contributes a small bit, and a few believe that it's just as helpful as a regular daylight bulb.

so is something like this concidered 50/50 and then not be true 65watt for plant growth

Compact Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Single Satellite Compact Fluorescent Fixtures

I bought the same light last month. The first day i didnt like it a lot as it has blue color. But it's ok now. My eyes get used with it. It does help the plants grow. I have almost dead Madagascar Lace but when i put the light on it start growing again and just in 3 days it has a flower. The flower is very tall over the tank now... that's amazing. I wanted to buy a fixture with has dual daylight 10,000K-6700K but they dont have so I'm going to order a Sunpad dual daylight 65W bulb to replace the 50/50 came with the Satellite fixture.

Currently I use Satellite fixture 50/50 as above and Nutrigrow bulb 20W 6700K. The Nutrigrow bulb added a little bit yellow so it looks not very bright and blue.
Here is the picture i took with 50/50 fixture ...
p1qp8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom