Lighting for 40g long?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flash081

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 40g long that I have planted with some anuibas nana, amazon sword, and soon to be some java moss and maybe hornwort.

I have been looking at lighting and the stock lights that I have now are each 20" 24 watt bulbs. I'm not sure as to all the other specifications because I bought the tank from a friend and hadn't asked. (I'm sure he wouldn't remember anyway)

I have been looking for more lights for my tank, but all the ones I find at Petco and Petsmart all have less wattage?

it's basically 1 long piece with a light on each side of it so that it extends across the tank.

Are there any better settups that i could get for a reasonable cost. I don't really have the money to spend a fortune on lighting.

I'm assuming your current lighting are T8 Bulbs? If so your two bulbs give you a WPG of 1.2 which should be fine for your low light plants. The only question is the bulb temperature ... are they at least 6500K for plant growth/ benefit?

For comparison ... I'm running a single T8 6500K 48 watt bulb on my 75gal and my amazon sword, Java moss and fern are holding their own. Not growing ... but not dying either (been in there for months) .... by contrast my crypts are growing. I'm easily below 1.0 wpg and fert using seachem root tabs and flourish.

If you are still looking to change lighting ... T5 Bulbs are what you'll commonly find. With those bulbs ... wattage isn't the issue as those bulbs have a higher light output. See the link below for charts that should be helpful.

PAR vs Distance, T5, T12, PC - Updated Again Charts

I'm not sure what they are and I don't really know how to check. I've looked at the bulbs and don't see anything that would indicate.

EDIT: I just manged to find a faded mark.

They are F20T12 20 watt 24" bulbs

I thought they were higher. =[

What are the dimensions of the tank? Sounds like it is 48", in which case a 2 tube 48" shoplight is around $15 and tubes are around 4 each at places like Home Depot. You can use 6500K or 5000K or both. my personal experience has been bettter with the 5000K tubes for growing plants. Tubes for your existing fixture (T12, 24", 20 watt), in 6500K Daylight are $4 for 2 at home depot.
T5 shop fixtures are more expensive as are the tubes, and not yet as readily available in 5000K and 6500K as T8 tubes.

Last edited:
Thank you BillD!
I very well may be going to get some new lights soon!

and yes 48"x12"X16"

If you don't like the idea of a bare shoplight, most will fit nicely inside a section of vinyl eavestrough. Cut a piece to span the tank, add a couple of endcaps, and attach the fixture inside. If you get the white trough, you can paint the outside any color and still have the white interior.

Just went out today and got a all season shoplight w/reflectors!
(I'm supposed to suspend it according to the box, but I didn't. Is that going to cause any problems?)

It has 2 48" T8 5000k bulbs.

I know I should probably get at least 6700k eventually, right?
Will 5000k be okay for plants like Jungle Val, Java Moss, and Anuibas Nana?

Back
Top Bottom