Lighting for 58 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

webmoose

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am trying to get my head around lighting for plants:

(116W - 145W)
(5000-6000K)
36" lighting?

But if I go to BigAl's Online for example how do I find this type of lighting?

I am in Canada so I don't really want to order from an Online site that is in the states unless I could get it for similar price as in local stores..

First of, how long is your tank? 58gallons sounds like a bowfront, which are usually not as long, but are taller.
Second, do you want medium or high light?

Basically you'll want to look for a lighting fixture that's teh same length as your tank. What you're probably going to end up with is a Coralife, 4x65watt fixture, or maybe a 2x96 fixture.

either route you take, it'll be at least $150 for a full fixture with as many watts as you're after.

Would this work for minimum lighting:

Coralife 24" Aqualight Power Compact Strip Light- 2X65Watt

with these bulbs:

Coralife Colormax-6700K 65W Power Compact Lamp-St.Pin

Hi Malkore,

I want medium light to start with.

My tank is 3 feet long. It is an Oceanic 58Gal.. (not a bow front.. :) )

I have been reading sites like Rex Gregg.. Just trying to get my head around it all.. :)

would:

All-Glass Compact Fluorescent Strip Light- 36" 110Watt (Black)

2 x All-Glass 10,000K Lamp-55 Watt

would the extra K make up for the Wattage for low to medium lighting?

or would this be better:

All-Glass Triple Tube Strip Light- 36" (Black)

Triple tube strip-lights are the latest design and feature an electronic ballast that is cUL listed. The triple tube strip-lights use 50% less electricity compared to equivalent light powered by standard magnetic ballasts. Lamps also run more efficiently. A 10 - 22% more light output is generated compared to standard magnetic ballasts! Triple tube strip- lights run cooler, 60 % less heat also compared to standard magnetic ballasts. Aquarium lamps have no more flicker and start instantly which can extend lamp life by 50%. The triple tube strip-lights are designed for use with T-8 aquarium lamps.

skip the triple tube...those are normal fluorescents and not as powerful as compacts..w.hich you'll want because your tank is a little deeper than normal.
10,000K isn't gonna penetrate any deeper...at least nothing you'll notice.

If you want medium light, I'd do the 2x65watt fixture. The all-glass hood comes with GE 9325K bulbs...which some argue are the BEST you can get (i have 2, but I wouldn't say they are that amazing, not bad, but not freakishly amazing either).

I found ton's of 24" 2x65 and lots of 48" 2x65.....

The 24" would be bad news for any plants in the corners?

65watt bulbs are 22" long...so a lot of the 2x65 kits are either 2 bulbs lengthwise, or 2 side by side.
the 2x96w might be the simplest way to go, but you'll have a high light tank, meaning CO2 will be a must, rather than an option.

Of course you could just make a simple canopy,and put a 2x55 kit from www.ahsupply.com in there. Then you just stagger the lights, so one's in the back right corner, the other in the front left corner, which minimizes the other 2 corners from appearing too dark.

malkore said:
65watt bulbs are 22" long...so a lot of the 2x65 kits are either 2 bulbs lengthwise, or 2 side by side.

Thanks that makes sense!!! It was bugging me that I couldn't see anything inbetween.. haha

I might email AHsupply and see some prices with shipping to Canada.. :)

Thanks Malkore..

Btw, any idea on what brand of light do AHsupply provide for the 55 kits.

No idea but If i did order I might still get bulbs locally...

Mooose'

Vega How you doin? :) Get any of those Rams to hook up? :)

Give up on Ram due to the no femala issue. Now into krib. Yesterday just found out 30-40 tiny kribs in the tank. :D :D :D

Hey congrats.. I am nursing 2 krib back to health.. I think they might be 2 males.. Not sure on the one.. 1 is for sure a Male.. The second I keep thinking is a female but it still could just be a young male...

Mooose

Vega do you have a planted tank? Size? Lighting?

It would be so much simpler for me to live in the states and be able to do Mail order without worring about my neighbor getting my parcel....

Time to move to the States..

Still trying to decide on the lighting....

Moooose..

Back
Top Bottom