Lighting for a 10g Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HooKooDooKu

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 10g Tank lit with a 15W 5000K standard compact flouresent bulb. I've got some water sprite that just isn't growing the way it is in a 5g with a 10W 6500K cfl. So I need to find a way to increase the light levels in the 10g without spending $$$.

The closest thing I've found is those Powerbrite LED lights. But that's really not going to do much. Base on some numbers I could find comparing lumens, you get about the same amount of lumes/watt from the LEDs as you do a CFL, so that meant adding one of these lights (at a cost of over $60) is only equal to adding about 5 watts to my existing 15.

Basically, what I feel like I really need is a pair of 15W flouresent bulbs, but the smallest I've been able to find has been 24" (i.e. 15g), and I currently don't have the space to upgrade to a 15g tank.

thought about retro fitting the hood? you can put two screw in bulbs. they are common up to 27w per bulb. also it mgiht be a factor of running out of nutrients.

cfl_light_bulb.jpg

AH supply's 36W PC is only 17" long, should fit in a 10.

36 or 55 watt Bright Kits

That , however, is a lot of light (over 4wpg equivalent), esp. considering their high polish reflector. You'll need CO2 at that kind of level.

For lower light, you might check Hagen's CF kits. I can find those at my lfs (comes with my 5 gal), and it comes in 12/9 & ?15W's.

Back
Top Bottom