Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-15-2006, 11:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lighting for a 2.5 Gal?

I didn't know whether to put this in Getting Started or Planted, but I figured since the light needs to be sufficient for plants, I'd post it here.

I want to create a lush green environment for my favorite betta, Battle Weapon. I was loving the look of glosso and the likes of foreground (any reccomendations/easier foreground plants than glosso?)

But I've noticed it's sort of uncommon to see a 12"x6" light fixture. Maybe I haven't been looking hard enough.

Is this going to be a sort of DIY project? Or is there a fixture out there?

Any help appreciated.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here's a few 12-inch hoods:

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/index.php?cPath=71_76

http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/lighthouse/

Someone else also mentioned using this, though for a smaller bowl, I believe...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...097560-6093436

dapellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There aren't a whole lot of options out there for smaller tanks. The Catelina Fixtures are one of the few that I've seen and I've never gotten any response to my email about some of the details of their hoods. Coralife also has a 2x9watt fixture that you could DIY some legs or rest on top of a glass canopy.

Two common options are DIY or to use a desklamp. You'll probably want to shoot for 13-26watts, preferrably at the higher end to be able to grow a nice foreground carpet. Of course at the higher end you'll need to be really on top of both the ferts and CO2 needs of the tank.

As far as DIY, here is a simple solution that I came up with for my tank. I bought a pair of Bayco 13 Watt Work Lights (which happen to come with 6700K bulbs), some zip ties with mounting loops, 4 S hooks, and a plastic kitchen shelf. The kitchen shelf was the perfect size that I could bend the legs out slightly and they would rest on the four corners of the aquarium. I then fastened the mounting cable ties around both ends of the work lights, and used the S hooks to hang them from the kitchen shelf by the mounting loops. If you go to the 4th page of my 2.5 gallon log, you'll see a picture of the lighting setup near the bottom.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxwell1295 Send a message via Yahoo to maxwell1295
Here is a nice unit.....I have one of these over my 7gal tank

eBay auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/CL-13-Aquarium-R...QQcmdZViewItem

Here is the same unit with B-I-N and free shipping:
http://cgi.ebay.com/CL-13-Aquarium-R...QQcmdZViewItem

125 Gallon Mixed African Thread, 75 Gallon Mixed Malawi Thread
maxwell1295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mosaic
I use an Azoo Palm Light. They have one long enough to fit over a 2.5. Its 13 watts, which has been enough to grow everything I've wanted so far. I don't know about glosso, but I do have a foreground plant (E. triandra) that's growing well. The only drawback is that its for rimless tanks so it wouldn't clamp onto the tank itself, but I rigged up a little stand for it.

55g: (Mostly) African riverine species: Alestes Chaperi, breeding pair of Kribs, and rhino pleco
30g: Newly established reef tank
10g: Planted but fishless
5g: Unplanted with various snail species
2.5g: Heavily planted with betta.
Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 02:09 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

maxwell1295 - do you have this fixture over a planted tank? The 12K bulb is not usually thought of as optimal for a planted tank. But the size and wattage are right!

An t-iasg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:42 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well this got me thinknig. Would any ol' lamp work?

If it had a 15 Watt bulb or something?

I'm assuming fluorescent would be better then the yellowy normal bulbs?
Old 11-19-2006, 08:34 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

u would have to use a screw in compact flourescent bulb. and wattage u would like as long as it is atleast 6500k. i personally like the mini CF lamps u can buy. i got mine at a store for 14 dollars and it came with a 13 watt bulb. very bright and its adjustable to bend over and tank u want.
Old 11-19-2006, 02:54 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Both Incadescent and Halogen lamps put out more heat than light, so you'd want to avoid those. However if your lamp has a Power Compact, NO Flourescent, or you can use a screw in Compact Flourescent bulb, then the lamp should work fine. Lamps that are designed to illuminate a work area would be better than those to help light up the room, since they would do a better job of getting most of the light into the tank.

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com