Lighting for a 45g Hex Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nemo01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What kind of lighting is recommended for a 45gal hex tank I have three water primeroses and a few other plants not to sure what they are but I was told the light I have is fine it's a 15 Watt Flora sun Max plant grow light I'm thinking it's not enough because I read earlier today that for low light plants it calls for 1-2 Watts a gallon is this true please help

I'm not a lighting pro, and I've heard the watts per gallon rule doesn't always apply, so I'm hoping someone else will chime in for that.

However, I just wanted to point out that the plant in the right-center, with the striped leaves, is Dracaena which is not an aquatic plant, neither is the bamboo. They will last for a little while but they will eventually rot and pollute your tank.

I made the same mistake with my first plant purchase, and that whole "combo" is now sitting in a pot on my windowsill ;)

Thanks man you are absolutely right that plant don't belong in a aquarium and there is another plant in my tank that don't belong and I didn't even no about it it's some kind of bamboo thanks for the heads up I am quite upset at PETCO at the moment

Looking forward to returning these plants tomorrow hun;) PETCO seriously to train they're employees. This is rediculous. So the dracaena, spathiphyllum, orhiopogon,and symposium are all going back. I'm not happy.

Thanks man you are absolutely right that plant don't belong in a aquarium and there is another plant in my tank that don't belong and I didn't even no about it it's some kind of bamboo thanks for the heads up I am quite upset at PETCO at the moment

I was also, especially since the guy said that it will grow great in my tank....

He also sold me a non-aquatic grass which they sold as dwarf sag....since I was so inexperienced I had no idea so I had to dump that as well.

I usually won't buy plants from an LFS unless the plant is labeled correctly (or I 100% know what it is) and I'm familiar with it, other than that it's hard to find LFS workers who know what they're actually talking about in terms of aquatic plants.

Back
Top Bottom