Lighting for deep tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have a fluval Roma 200 which is about 55-60cm deep to the substrate and was wondering what kind of lights should I be using on it to grow plants?

I did have 2 t8s which I then replaced with 2 aquasky 25watts but that didn’t make any difference the plants are still looking crap!

I have the same question. I bought two 24" hood for my 55g which only has a single T5 bulb. The height of the tank is 21 inch. Depth from top of substrate is around 18. Is that sufficient? If not what T5 bulbs should I buy to replace whatever is already in there?

I like the Beamsworks DA FSPEC with an added dimmer I sourced my self.:cool:
That and a timer and you should be good to go 'hands free ' for medium light plants..:dance:
https://www.amazon.com/Beamswork-FSPEC-Aquarium-Light-Freshwater/dp/B01LFF07XS
12V 5A Switch Dimmer Adjustable Control Single Color LED Strip Light Black White | eBay
This dimmer has worked on EVERY led I own that can be separated after the power source before the light. The jacks even work ,although they don't screw together like if left without dimmer.(y)
IMO the dimmer is a must have as the light is pretty bright.
I have 42 tanks running from 5g to 180g with 10 of these lights running now..
1 @24 " inches doing 2@ 10g 'shotgun style, 5 @36" on my 40 breeders ,1 @ 30" on a 29g, and 2@36" on my 180 ...The 29 also runs a fluval 2.0 fresh & plant [nice but pricey @ $130] and the 180g has 2@ finnex 24/7 which I am waiting to screw up like the 30" one I had on my 29 before the fluval and beamswork..:nono:
I just ordered 2 more @48" and a second @24" .....I like them !

I do have a link somewhere on bulbs versus depth. Still trying to find it.

I was hoping you'd join the party as your tank is quite deep as well.
Last time I lit a tank this deep (55g ~24") I used 4x 39W T-10s. Following along to see what equivalent LED fixtures are out there.

I have the same question. I bought two 24" hood for my 55g which only has a single T5 bulb. The height of the tank is 21 inch. Depth from top of substrate is around 18. Is that sufficient? If not what T5 bulbs should I buy to replace whatever is already in there?

Well I took the box out of storage and I got my facts all wrong.
It's 18" 15w T8 Full Spectrum lamp. I've heard of 1w per gallon rule so total for this is 30w which I'm going to assume all my plants are dying. Ugh. I bought API CO2 booster and Leaf Zone which both should arrive by the end of the month.

I really jumped the gun and bought it before cycling the tank thinking the fish is going to jump out. I must of forgotten that I needed to cycle it. I could have had a month to research on light. I wonder if Petco will accept used item return..

A big learning curb(curve?) with this hobby!

I was hoping you'd join the party as your tank is quite deep as well.
Last time I lit a tank this deep (55g ~24") I used 4x 39W T-10s. Following along to see what equivalent LED fixtures are out there.

Ugh, found it again but seems to be a photobucket image so having trouble copying a link. For the OP try searching for "light intensity by height planted tank" and should get info on bulbs.

My tank is 2.5ft deep but runs injected CO2 either end and dry ferts dosing so a bit easier. I was told at the shops a single quad t5ho would do but talking to plant growers, they have run up to 2 x quad t5ho's which must pump out a lot of light.

I use a quad t5ho with red and white light bulbs (I don't think reflectors are great). And have added a decent LED strip light which is can be dimmed on white light bank and blue light bank (it's not great for plants but does the job).

I started off low on the LED and lifted it up until GSA showed up. Running white light bank 100% and blue light bank at 50% now and clean GSA off every few weeks. When I was using higher powered reef lights, was cleaning BBA off every week (shudder).

The test I found was would stem plants grow from substrate (good light), and then would plants grow sideways also at substrate (great light).

CO2 and soil (or a good substrate) also make a difference. So if plants continue to struggle and light should be reasonable, I'd go for CO2 injected. Liquid carbon imo (behind bunker) is nowhere close to injected CO2. Some thoughts :)

Last comment is that lowering the light from say a stand of several inches onto tank rim, I found gained about 5 to 10% par in testing.

Photobucket

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...=5KbFWfPPG4PW8QWSqK24DQ#imgrc=4S2aMHAOTvhE6M:

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies i’ll have a look at the lights you guys have said
What I was thinking is using the 2 aquasky and then using 1 t8 tube light
Would that work?

Tank Lighting

I currently have a fluval Roma 200 which is about 55-60cm deep to the substrate and was wondering what kind of lights should I be using on it to grow plants?

I did have 2 t8s which I then replaced with 2 aquasky 25watts but that didn’t make any difference the plants are still looking crap!

Hello bh...

You can avoid plant problems by keeping the easier to grow, low light species. Anubias nana and nangi, Java fern, Onion, Banana and Swords are all good and require only minimal lighting. I have a tall 45 G tank and use four T8, 32 watt lamps from the hardware store. They work fine for taller tanks. The fixtures and lamps are inexpensive and the lights last well over a year. I change out the water regularly to replace trace elements and the fish take care of the fertilizer.

Pretty simple.

B

Back
Top Bottom