Lighting freshwater tanks... for plants oh yeah and fish lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diablos

Aquarium Advice Regular
If I was going to light a freshwater tank for plants using power compact lights with 4 bulbs x 65 watts. Which brand/manufacturer is making the best product?

what size tank?

that is alot of light, depending on the size of the tank you will need CO2 and ferts with that or you will quickly learn about the biological function of different species of algae the hard way :?

although i have not personaly used them i have heard good things about Coralife brand

Based on the reviews that most people have posted Coralife is the best closely followed by Current. I personally prefer the look of Current, but find that the fan is a bit loud.

Found a set up with bulbs

Two 65 watt 10,000K and two 65 watt True Actinic 03 Blue

Priced at $220

Tank is 75 Gallons. Would this cause an algae problem?, was told this is what I would need to grow plants properly.

Another question what is the difference between these two models? Is it just the casing around it?

retrofit.jpg

deluxe.jpg

The first is a kit to install inside an existing hood, the second is the actual fixture. That fixture will give you 130 watts of usable light over the tank. It is a good place to start and learn. If you replace the atnic bulbs with regular bulbs your tank will be high light and you will be Rockin and Rollin.

I would go with the freshwater fixture and just not turn on the spare set of bulbs. that way you don't have to buy new bulbs if you go with Co2... (comes with 4 x 6700K)..

I had 4 x 65w 10000K on my 75, but I also have compressed Co2..

A link @ 229$

Right on so the lighting kits with the blue-ish lights are more for salt water?

The other thing I forgot was that the hood is set up for retrofit lights already!

So I'll get a 4 x 6700k Retrofit for freshwater, rather than the 10000k ones, Only thing there I didn't understand was "...and just not turn on the spare set of bulbs."

I don't plan to go to c02 if I don't have to.

==================================================
EDIT
=========================================

Wierd I can't find the retrofit freshwater lights :?

Diablos said:
Only thing there I didn't understand was "...and just not turn on the spare set of bulbs."

I don't plan to go to c02 if I don't have to.

If you run all four freshwater lights at once and don't have CO2, you will have an algae factory.

That is why they are saying to stay with two bulbs until you are ready to rock and roll. You WILL need CO2 with 4 freshwater bulbs running.

Each pair of bulbs has it's own power switch. just leave 1 power switch off. One powers 1 bank and the fans (leave this one on) and the other you just don't turn on.

AHHHH HA... lol kk got it now~!

Still unable to find freshwater lights retrofitted.

So am I right, I cant get these lights retrofited? And if not how cant I get the light kit to site properly on the tank?

I'd recommend checking out AHSupply. Since you're planning to build the lighting into a canopy instead of having a selfcontained fixure, they'd be a great option. Their reflectors are highly efficient and the pricing isn't bad either.

Back
Top Bottom