Lighting help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dinnerflexor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I read the article yet still need some clarification. I'm upgrading to a 25 gal. tank (Aquenon 25 kit-24"L x 13"W x 21"H) I will not be running CO2 (Side of Tank is 5-6 feet from south facing window) I am going to use eco complete substrate with a sand border in front. My current plants can handle low light.
The lights that came with it are T5 120v 14w Colormax and 6,700K 14w bulbs. (Aquenon 24" dual lamps-power is 28w)
This doesn't seem to be enough. I want med light and enough to penetrate the deeper tank. What should I pick up? Can I use the same light fixture?

That is enough light for some low light plants, but not much more. You would probably want to look at a dual t5 HO setup (the ho is for high output). You cannot put more powerful bulbs in the fixture... you will have to get a new fixture. Fluorescent bulbs aren't like incandescents in that you can put higher wattage bulbs in the same fixture.

Something like this would work nicely:

2F/2Bulbs fixtures

This would put you squarely in medium to medium high light, and would grow a myriad of plants.

Back
Top Bottom