Lighting help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaddyD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 60 Gallon MarineLand tank in progress.
12.75"L x 48.5"W x 25" H --

Current plants are 1 parent Amazon Sword and 3 that grew from it, and several Anubias. I want to add more of both. The plants are on a "mound" of gravel to help get them closer to light. I'd say the crown of my swords are about 20 inches deep.
I may do Water Sprites too because I've read it's good for possible fry.
Anyway, after realizing the tank lights are very weak, I purchased

Clamp Lights

and some 23W (100W Equivalent) 5000K CFL bulbs

hoping to help the plants survive until I learned more. Currently, running one light and dosing Excel and Flourish.
Algae grows on the plants and glass so i assume I don't have enough plants, there is too much light, or not enough Excel.

And my research has me really confused as far as what lights to get next. I want some lights that will look like they belong on the tank so my other half stops complaining and also helps those plants grow, not just survive.

I'm considering Finnex Planted Plus 24/7 or Ray 2. I like the lighting options available with the Planted plus so I actually prefer that, but I don't know if either will be enough light for how deep the tank is.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'll post a pic later of it.

The ray2(higher par rating than the 24/7) would put you on the upper end of low light(possibly low end of medium) , with that being said it should be plenty for swords,anubias,water sprite etc...Also if you are not already be sure to place root tabs near your heavy rootfeeders&you'd also benefit from adding api leafzone to what you're already dosing..
Is the tank in a room where it receives ambient light?
How long do you have your lighting on?
sit in silence...

Thanks for the reply!

The tank is in a room that receives ambient light.
I currently light about 7 - 10 hours. I was lighting 12 hours. I plan to get a timer.
I will look into the API. I tried to buy some this weekend, buy my LFS were out of stock.

I didn't post the pic because I forgot. I was blindsided by angelfish eggs on my sword and a pregnant Platy! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom