Lighting help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brittany_b415

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,
I have had my tank up and running for well over a month. It cycled about a week ago and I added a few fish and 2 frogs. I did have two plants in there but I noticed they were turning brown. I'm figuring my lighting is inadequate. I have a waterhome 20 tank I bought second hand off someone. It is despite its number 20 a 15 gallon tank. It has a light glo hood with an aqua glow 15W fluorescent bulb. I don't know how old this tank is or how many hours the light has been used. I'm wondering if it safe to put in a higher wattage bulb? If so what is recommended? Will I overload my hood? Any help would be great because I want to add more plants and not have them turn brown.

Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello all,
I have had my tank up and running for well over a month. It cycled about a week ago and I added a few fish and 2 frogs. I did have two plants in there but I noticed they were turning brown. I'm figuring my lighting is inadequate. I have a waterhome 20 tank I bought second hand off someone. It is despite its number 20 a 15 gallon tank. It has a light glo hood with an aqua glow 15W fluorescent bulb. I don't know how old this tank is or how many hours the light has been used. I'm wondering if it safe to put in a higher wattage bulb? If so what is recommended? Will I overload my hood? Any help would be great because I want to add more plants and not have them turn brown.

Thanks in advance :)

You'll probably find that at this point it isn't the lighting that is the problem but the lack of nutrients available to the plants. If you have an inert substrate and are not supplementing the water column then you will have plant deficiencies.

What's your substrate?
How long do you leave lights on for?
What type of plants do you have?

My substrate is a sand of sorts. I really don't know what it was, went to the LFS and asked for sand for the bottom of my tank. I leave the lights on for 10 hours or so. Usually 9-9 or 7-7 depending on my work schedule. I need to get a timer I know. And as for my plants I have no idea what they were called. I went in and asked for a low light plant and they gave me two of the same. I'll attach a picture. You can see my substrate and my plants. I have since thrown them away because they turned brown. They weren't in the best shape when I got them! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447275598.868228.jpg

Because your light isn't too fancy, you can get a $4 timer from the hardware store. Looks like a little box with a dial (because it is). Simple to use, pull up or press down the surrounding tabs that correspond with the time on the dial with whether you want the light on or off. Up is off, as it interrupts the current. Easy and economical.

If the ticking time bomb sound from the analog timer is too much (I have some but they are in a cabinet), for a little more you can get a digital one. It's silent. Most have battery backups so it won't forget your settings in case you unplug it.
As for your lighting, unlike screw-on type bulbs, fluorescent bulbs are typically "fixed" in terms of wattage versus length. So a longer bulb has higher wattage.
I would look at lower light demanding plants such as Java Fern, Java moss, anubias, anacharis, hornwort, and wisteria.

Oh okay. Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize watts vs length thing. I really don't want to have to pay to replace my fixture especially for a 15 gallon lol!

A non-pretty (of course, is a subjective thing) alternative is a dome clamp on style light fixture paired with a 13-26 watt 6700K compact fluorescent bulb (CFL). Decent, low cost lighting. However, it does not provide coverage as a full hood would. It can be used with a hinged glass top.
If you ever come across a dual incandescent bulb aquarium fixture (they are rather inexpensive) you could use the slim type CFL bulbs instead of the hot, power hungry incandescent bulbs for providing light for live plants.

A non-pretty (of course, is a subjective thing) alternative is a dome clamp on style light fixture paired with a 13-26 watt 6700K compact fluorescent bulb (CFL). Decent, low cost lighting. However, it does not provide coverage as a full hood would. It can be used with a hinged glass top.
If you ever come across a dual incandescent bulb aquarium fixture (they are rather inexpensive) you could use the slim type CFL bulbs instead of the hot, power hungry incandescent bulbs for providing light for live plants.

Exactly what this is. It isn't pretty, but there isn't anything but plants in this. This model timer doesn't tick that I've heard.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447301253.630370.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447301253.630370.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 39
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447301269.739777.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447301269.739777.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 40
I don't think you need to change the lights. Just put them on a timer 4 hours on 4 off 4 on.

Then you need to put some root tabs under the the plants that will provide nutrients.

I think that's her heater in the back corner behind the pottery.

In my tank it's my heater but in the tank in the picture below the timer that was shared that looks like a Filter type thing ! I replaced my bulb with a flora max, it looks dimmer but I'll give it a go. Also bought some seachem root tabs I think that's what they're called. I will go to the LFS and pick up some new low light plants and see how that goes. I need something because I added new female guppies and now my frogs are having a hard time trying to find somewhere to hide!

Also picking up a timer for my tank :)

Back
Top Bottom