lighting help - 8gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themox

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey guys,

probably a stupid question - i've been checking around trying to find my answer but i'm still a bit uncertain. think i just need some clarification.

i've got an 8 gallon tank that i'd like to add some medium and potentially high light requiring plants to. the only lighting i've been able to source for the tank size is 8w t5s hoods due to size restraints.

so then if i use 3 of these, is that then 3w per gallon? (3 x 8w t5s in an 8gal tank?) is that how it works? i feel as though that's wrong and i'd just be making the tank brighter with no benefit to the plants. can anyone help with a bit of an explanation for me? i can't seem to find an answer anywhere! :)

thanks!

That is how it works but what kind of stock lighting do you have? If its incandescent sockets, you could just switch to compact fluorescents.

Atxpunx said:
That is how it works but what kind of stock lighting do you have? If its incandescent sockets, you could just switch to compact fluorescents.

thanks! i'm not 100% sure. I've attached a pic of it, if you could tell me that would be great. I think it could be incandescent by what I've read.

image-4103515748.jpg

image-865652704.jpg

Incandescents are the old school bulbs you can't buy in Aus anymore. You can use the normal cfl bulbs as long as they are 6500-6700K or 'daylight' rating.

thanks mumma. you're like my fish answer jesus haha.

the one i have currently says sunlight but doesn't show the K rating. when i get the new setting and lights i'll check that.

i couldn't get the larger tank after all too :(

sadfase.

i'm going to turn my smaller 8gal, 30 litre into a fully-functional planted tank though and have a few nice ideas. i just like the idea of having a project tank that i can work on and improve as opposed to just one that sits there, so it's not all bad news lol

Mumma.of.two said:
:( that sucks! 30L tank are fun though. I have two! :D

if I could ask, would you have any idea of the running costs of a filtered, heated, decently lit 3ft tank? it was mainly down to an issue of electricity cost to have heat, light, and filtration set up for such a large tank in our house.

no worries mumma, thanks all the same!

Coursair, the globes say they are t5 on them and are much thinner looking than normal t8s I've seen before; so hoping they are just a standard size. I'm going to stick with those if I can but am purchasing a larger hood canopy which holds 3 of them.

unless there is some other way, however the outside of the canopy/hood/light fixture i have currently says 1 x 8w max as below

image-4275184674.jpg

no worries mumma, thanks all the same!

Coursair, the globes say they are t5 on them and are much thinner looking than normal t8s I've seen before; so hoping they are just a standard size. I'm going to stick with those if I can but am purchasing a larger hood canopy which holds 3 of them.

unless there is some other way, however the outside of the canopy/hood/light fixture i have currently says 1 x 8w max as below

View attachment 82370

Nice ! T5s will give you more options and more light.

Nice ! T5s will give you more options and more light.

thank you!

yeah i'm pretty excited. i want to start looking at more than simple moss and java fern and get a nice small little planted 30litre tank set up all sexy.

are there any particular fish that anyone could recommend that suit a very lush green looking setting? i'm starting to fall in love with shrimps but wouldn't mind some schooling fish who's colours either contrast nicely, or don't distract from the look of the tank.

my guppies are nice, but they tend to scamper about and only scavenge for food.

What about some neons. Green or gold are nice. Ember tetras is another one. A Betta or a trio of sparkling gouramis.

omg excited. i wanna post up some pics but haven't even begun yet. thanks mumma (again! :p). i'm gonna check out the look of those guys at my LFS

thank you thank you! (can plants be sent in the mail here in oz mumma? i could have sworn that our postage people are hardcore "ooh germs" naz!s and don't allow us to send anything like that in the mail). i'd love to be wrong

themox said:
thank you thank you! (can plants be sent in the mail here in oz mumma? i could have sworn that our postage people are hardcore "ooh germs" naz!s and don't allow us to send anything like that in the mail). i'd love to be wrong

You can post plants and fish/inverts to anywhere but WA and TAZ. Aquagreen is in the NT and are awesome. They have native plants, inverts and fish and non native plants. They also have greats fertilizers called Dino dung, spit and pee.

oh wow. some of those fish on aqua green are amazing. so unique. I'll definitely have to get some when my tank is set up :)

Back
Top Bottom