Lighting help and advice needed!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tank Kits

I currently have three different plants inside my freshwater aquarium and I bought the Marinland 20 Gallon Aquarium Kit

Now my questions are...

1. Do I have enough lighting for plants?
  2. Is it possible to have TOO much lighting?
  3. Any suggestions on what lighting hood I should buy?

Hello D...

The lights that come with tank kits have just enough light for you to see into the tank, not necessarily for growing plants. However, there are some plants you can combine with natural looking fake plants, to make a nice looking aquarium. Anubias nana and nangi are good as well as Pennywort and Hornwort. These require no more than subdued lighting. Combine these with some fake ones you like at the pet store and you're all set.

B

5 watts of LED power isn't enough for planted tank. In this setup you can only grow cladophora algae or Java Fern at 12 hrs lighting/day.

Don't dose ferts in this setup, or you'll have to deal with algae.

That light will keep the crypt and anubia alive but not much else. The diandra will probably suffer. There are cheap planted tank LED's available or you can look into 2 bulb T5HO fixtures like Odyssea.

You need to use root tabs under the crypt as it's a heavy root feeder.

So, what do you suggest I get? my current one has 4.64 watts and the ones for a 20 gallon produce 7.5 watts, I thought the guideline was 2 watts for ever gallon, that means I need something with 20 watts, no?

WPG doesnt apply with led lighting, it's calculated with PAR values. On my 29g I have 2x39w T5HO, but if I had led system, I would probably only have 20 watts..

IMO I would take the satellite+ one, because Of colors effects, and it's double power. So you sure you can grow almost everything without issues. If light is too strong, you can dim it as you like it, It come with a remote. Timer is builtin.

WPG doesnt apply with led lighting, it's calculated with PAR values. On my 29g I have 2x39w T5HO, but if I had led system, I would probably only have 20 watts..

IMO I would take the satellite+ one, because Of colors effects, and it's double power. So you sure you can grow almost everything without issues. If light is too strong, you can dim it as you like it, It come with a remote. Timer is builtin.

This is fantastic to hear. thank you so much. I'm also not exactly sure which Model I should get...

My aquarium is 24x12x16. 20 gallons high

I don't think the timer is built in. The Satellite+ on a 20 high will give put you on the high end of low light or maybe the low end of medium. It really depends on what you want to grow. A double T5 from just about anywhere should give you at least medium light.

I don't think the timer is built in. The Satellite+ on a 20 high will give put you on the high end of low light or maybe the low end of medium. It really depends on what you want to grow. A double T5 from just about anywhere should give you at least medium light.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, which model do you think I should get that would also fit on my tank?

I will go with the Satellite+ 18" model is it was my aquarium. But that's my opinion. I like hightech builds and I like to grow plants.

24x12x16 is 20 gal, same as my saltwater build. My first option was to go with the Marine Orbit LED 18" from the same brand, but I found that it will not be enough to grow high lights corals, so I invested in a bigger light, R420R nano 60w. They make a version for freshwater (8000K instead of 10000k or 16000k). If your tank is topless it will fit perfectly for your 20g, it have 60w instead of 13w like satellite+. For sure with this light you can grow ANYTHING. And for sure you'll have to dimm it 75%. Timer, dual channel colors and progressive lighting, (and moonlight) is included on the built in timer. But it cost 300$ instead 200$.

IMO, very worth the price.

Back
Top Bottom