Lighting ? I just confused myself, LOL!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkymom

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, debating on just going ahead and buying a 55 gal used off craigslist (175 for whole set up) and am looking at lighting. I'm wanting to go high light and so now I'm all confused. If I were to put 2 65 watt bulbs end to end, would that equal 130 watts of light? Or would it still only be 65 watts. And the 4 65 watt bulbs (2 next to each other like this == ) would be 260 watts? or 130 watts? TIA!

Edited bc I'm an idiot and can't add.

To confuse things more:

You add up all the lights over the tank .... so 2x65W = 130, 4x65W = 260.

However, PC's are more efficient compared to regular T12 fluorescent. To compare WPG, you need to increase the wattages of the PC's. <Because the original WPG's were calculated using T12 NO bulbs.>

For the PC's your 2x65W is equal to ~1.5x130W = 200W =~ 3.5 WPG.
4 of those would be 7 WPG = really high light!

Last edited:
Yeah, I think the 2x 65 watt will be just fine! I'm going to go with a Coralife 48" set up. Anyone know the cheapest place to buy from? Cheapest I've seen is $109.99.

I don't know about the Coralife, but I've been very happy with my Catalina and I'd suggest you at least look at theirs also.

When you say you want to go high-light, do you really want to go high-light? Ferts, CO2, the whole nine yards?

If so, you're going to need at least 4x65W. Just for reference, I ran 2x55W PC on my 29 gallon.

But, if you're serious about getting into a high-tech tank, I'd highly recommend T5HOs. The PCs are fine, and I used them for years, but Im just so much happier with T5s.

When you say you want to go high-light, do you really want to go high-light? Ferts, CO2, the whole nine yards?

If so, you're going to need at least 4x65W. Just for reference, I ran 2x55W PC on my 29 gallon.

But, if you're serious about getting into a high-tech tank, I'd highly recommend T5HOs. The PCs are fine, and I used them for years, but Im just so much happier with T5s.

I concur. I love my t5HOs. I run 4X24W on my 29.

Why would 2x 65 watts pcs not be enough light? Wouldn't that be at least mid-high light? I will be doing CO2. I made one of those DIY things. Yes I will be using ferts.

Its a good start i have the same on a 90.But have added more.

The Coralife 48" 130W PC fixture would give you the equivalent of about 3.2 "watts per gallon" based on the T12 bulbs. The "wpg rule" was designed using T12 bulbs and as has already been mentioned different bulbs are more efficient than others. I have the fixture that you are looking at on my 55g and it provides ample lighting. Everything I put in there grows well. I have to dose with Excel though to provide CO2, which is something to keep in mind if you intend to do high lighting.

Also, if I had to do it all over again I would go with Coralife T5's instead of the PC/CF fixtures. T5's have better penetration power, are cheaper initially, have a lower replacement cost, and are more efficient...things I didn't know about when I purchased my PC/CF setup.

Fixture Includes:
* 28 watt 10,000K daylight and 28 watt true actinic 03 blue T-5 fluorescent lamps

So this is enough light?

You do not want actinic bulbs for a planted tank. They do not provide useable light for plants. They are for saltwater tanks. Look for a 6500k or one with another 10000k bulb instead.

Yeah, I know I'd have to put another 10000k in there instead of the actinic bulb, but 56 watts is enough??? Am I more confused than I realize?

I will probably just convert one with an ah supply kit. I did it before and it was plenty of light, also more cost efficient. I can't see replacing 4 bulbs at $12 - $20 e every 6-9 months when I can run 2 bulbs till they drop which will be 1.5-2 years and they'll only cost $18 e to replace. I'm just not seeing where it's cost effective to use the t-5 NO bulbs compared to the cps. IDK. I had a 55 before with 2x 55 watts and no CO2 and my plants grew. I also did not use any ferts or anything. Now, I say they grew. They didn't grow fast, and they didn't grow great, but they grew. I think that amount of light with CO2 and ferts would make a very nice tank. I'm looking to be able to grow most of the plants that they sell at my fav LFS. I want a tank full of lush, green bushy plants.

Fixture Includes:
* 28 watt 10,000K daylight and 28 watt true actinic 03 blue T-5 fluorescent lamps

So this is enough light?

This is a T5 - NO fixture.

The others are singing the praises of the T5 - HO fixtures .... those are 2 different things completely.

The T5-HO's are 54 W each, so a 2 lamp fixture will give you 108W. <With a good reflector, these will give out ~1.7x the light of a NO, so the 2x54W T5 HO = 108x1.7 = 183W ~=3.3 WPG.

If you have a canopy, I agree that the AH-supply kits are the most cost effective. There are also T5-HO kits, but last I look, they cost about twice the AH supplies' kit.

Back
Top Bottom