Lighting Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All you pros out there...rook? Am I doin ok? Am I givin correct info?

Anubias barteri- from what I understand...it needs to be grown above substrate on a rock or DW

Java fern- very popular

Here are some species for low to moderate light I found out....does this help?

The important thing to know about these plants is that they grow from what's known as a "rhizome". A rhizome is basically a stem that grows horizontally along a surface instead of growing vertical like a normal stem. Roots grow out of the bottom of the rhizome and leaves grow out of the top of the rhizome.

You dont necessarily need to attach these plants to driftwood or rocks - but you have to make sure not to bury the rhizome under the substrate. The roots can grow under the substrate but if you put the rhizome under, it will rot and ultimately kill the plant. It would be just like burying the stem of a stem plant under the dirt and trying to let just the leaves stick out. It doesn't work.

Is your tank very tall? Putting that light you linked on top of 37 gallons will give you 3 Watts-per-gallon which could allow you to grow some pretty great plants including medium to medium-high light plants.

Just understand that 3 WPG at the surface of the water is not the same as 3 WPG at the bottom of the tank. So a deeper tank will see less light at the bottom of the tank than a shorter tank.

This looks great to me! This model seems to have 4 bulbs...you'll wanna check with the pros here, to figure out which bulbs would be best! For four IMhumbleO I would suggest a 6700K, 10000K, and some sort of moonlighting...they have bulbs for that too...but again you'll wanna hit up fort or mfdrookie! They have incredible planted tanks...from the looks of this fixture it would GREATLY increase your choice of plants! I think this ballast just sits on top of the tank with those
Little rack things on the side...also Mr_X is a great person to go to! Very wise!

Thanks for jumping in vircomore...I hope i was not too off base with what I was sayin....that would bum me out :(

Yes, it is more tall. I posted the dimensions earlier in the thread. Since there will be less light at the bottom, I would just stick to taller plants, correct? To ensure that they recieved adequate light?

(Yes thank you both)

You could def stick to those lower light plants on the bottom, and then maybe terrace your substrate...that could be interesting...little hanging gardens of Babylon action :)

Tall plants are fine, and also shorter plants like Anubias will work as well because of their broad leaves. The plants that you would run into trouble with are the "grasses" or "low ground cover" that don't have broad leaves because they just wont absorb enough light.

Just sayin... :) I think the java moss and fern would do well on the bottom :) moss is a prolific grower

Then tall plants it is. I will eventually get the hang of this live plants thing. I really appreciate your help guys.

Noted: Light off ebay, taller plants, or those with broader leaves.

One more question: How necessary is a co2 system? From what I have heard, it is only needed in a heavily planted tank. Does it make a huge difference on the growth/color of plants? And if so, what is the most simple route of supplying it to the tank?

(Guess that is not exactly one more question.)

I adore Java Moss. Have it all over my driftwood. Seems to be the only plant that I can keep alive at moment. And the Marimo balls. Hah.

Haha, def ask fort or mfdrookie on the CO2 they seem to be pro! I want to do a co2 set up at some point...it just makes photosynthesis more efficient I believe...

As far as CO2 is concerned... you really don't need to start injecting CO2 until you are around the 2.5wpg area. Anything higher you will need to start dosing ferts and injecting CO2 in order to out-compete the algae for nutrients.

CO2 will not bring out the nice red colors like you are talking about. Iron and higher levels of light will get you that coloring. CO2 cannot hurt any planted tank but just adding CO2 will not instantly make your plants grow like crazy. It is all a balancing act... levels of light, CO2 and ferts.

Yea, I am not ready for all of that at the moment. Thanks for the suggestions, meegosh.

Not a problem! It can be a bit overwhelming at first but I think the benefits of a nice lush planted tank are worth it.

Back
Top Bottom