lighting my 10 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big Ben

Aquarium Advice Freak
The 10 gal tank I bought came with some Incandescent Light Bulbs. I want to get some kind of plant that will provide good coverage for fry. I was thinking java moss if I could find it. I was wondering if my lighting will be sufficient for acquiring plants. My hood says the lighting is 120 VAC, 60 Hz, 50 watts. I was also wondering how to purchase a new hood with fluorescent lighting. Like what's the size for a 10 gal tank. Thanks :p

You could replace the bulbs with compact fluorescent screw in bulbs. Home Depot sells a daylight version that works well.

You can also get 10 Watt Compact Fourescents specifically designed for hoods like yours at Walmart for about $5. If they have them, they'll be in the pet department. With two of these you should be able to grow most low light plants and maybe some slightly more light demanding plants. Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, and Crypts would be good options.

Go to Walmart and buy a 2-pack of their SUNLIGHT BULB 15w CF bulbs for $8.44 (that's what they cost in my area). They are 6500K bulbs that put out some really nice light. I have them in both of my 10gal tanks.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I bought some compact fluorescent bulbs from wal-mart just 10 mins ago. They're 13 watts each and they're made by globe ener saver. They say white natural light on them so I think they should be good for plants?

The pic with one bulb is the kind I bought. the other pic is another type they had but the bases looked to wide so I didn't get them.

Back
Top Bottom