Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gimincorp

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
I have a choice of installing a 3 tube lighting system with 20 Wt each or 2 tube lighting system with 30 Wt each. on a glass caonpy of my 45 Gallon planted tank. What do you think would be a better choice?

I'm going to move this to the FW Brackish Section. You posted in the site help forum, which is used for site issues.

well, what do you plan to do with the tank?
will it be planted?
what type of fish do you plan to stock?

there are several different variables that go into your lighting decision.

Assuming that both are the same type of bulb, the total amount of light will be the same. I would go for the fixture that will give you the best coverage from end to end and hopefully also has the smallest footprint front to back.

Thank you all!
So far after I had replaced the 2x fixture with a new 3x my java moss had exploded and the other plants are catching up. It could be due to the fact that the bulbs are new though, but I like the wider light spread over the tank and I think I'll keep the 3x.
Oh for the record:
Fish: Ameca Splendons; platys; pleco and some smaller fish in that tank.
Plants: java moss (pest, but hopefully will cover some babies), Anubias Bartery var Nana (old resident I used to and don't want to rid of), Coon tail, Duckweed (I guess), Vallisneria, Baby tears.
Substrate: flurite bed covered with gravel

Back
Top Bottom