Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jespenguin

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've been looking into upgrading my lights, but it seem super expensive, but I've come across people using shop lights for their aquariums. I was curious if this was safe, and if people really do do this. I love how inexpensive it is! Also, if I do go this route, I want to avoid co2. So should I go with a 2 light fixture with t8 bulbs, giving me 80watts, or do a florescent 4 bulb, giving me 160 watts. Oh this is over a 55 gallon too. Any suggestions?

A two-bulb shop light is perfect for a medium light 55g. If I had a 48" tank, I'm not sure the lights over my workbench would have made it into the garage.

I've bought my shop lights at Menards. I believe they're made by American Fluorescent and called their "Titanium Shop Light" or something like that. They were about $30 a piece, a bit more expensive than most lights, but they've got pretty good reflectors. Two of these fixtures, so 160W total, light my 12ft workbench well enough for me to anything I need with no other lights. I think they'd do great on a planted tank.

Thanks! They even have them with oak surroundings donut won't look awkward. I think this planted thing is going to work out nicely now:)

Back
Top Bottom