Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jmedic25

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im new to planted tanks but I have plenty of exp with fishkeeping. I have a 75 gal Mbuna tank and a 36 gal tropical tank. I have the 36 gal aqueon starter kit that came with a single bulb fixture. I know that I need to upgrade to a new bulb to keep plants. I have wisteria, some floating water lettuce, and anubias. I really dont want to have to change my fixture. Is there a bulb that will support plant growth with the stock fixture?
Thanks

Unfortunately with fluorescent tubes, a single bulb light only comes in one wattage, so bulb selection won't make the difference between plant viability and plant death.

What would be my best option? I like the way the fixture fits on the bowfront. Do i just need to buy a new fixture? Does the acrylic top filter out the good light?

A transparent top will reduce some light, probably 10-30% depending on the material and thickness, with acrylic tending to be closer to 10% if I remember correctly.

Depending on the design of you tank and hood, you might find yourself pressed for light. Some very low light species may be fine, but others, especially the wisteria, probably wont make it.

Reducing your light or viability? Im not sure. Honestly, I dont have much experience with water lettuce, but I can get duckweed to grow in a 5g betta tank with a fluorescent light to save my life.

If I read that right. You CAN grow duckweed under a simple flourescent bulb? So i really need to worry about my wisteria the most. I can upgrade the one bulb to a higher watt bulbs. Would that make any difference in your opinion?

Jmedic25 said:
If I read that right. You CAN grow duckweed under a simple flourescent bulb? So i really need to worry about my wisteria the most. I can upgrade the one bulb to a higher watt bulbs. Would that make any difference in your opinion?

Well I cant, but maybe someone else could in a different setup.

Usually for a given length of bulb, say 20", there is only one wattage available (17w). You won't be able to find higher wattages because your limited by the technology of the bulb and the available power from the fixture.

I understand, and thank you! Can you recomend any aftermarked fixtures that would work on a 36 gal bowfront that will give me more light?

30x15x21...I just want as much light as I need to support the plants I already have. So I figure about 40 watts is minimum right?

Your best bets would probably be a T5NO fixture, a 1xT5HO, or a 2xT5HO fixture that can run with only one bulb.

Back
Top Bottom