Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lainey183

Aquarium Advice Freak
Forgive me everyone, I know I have been all over this site asking questions, but I really want to learn and make this work.

My newest question is about lighting.

These are the bulbs I have:
Walmart.com: Lights Of America 10 Watt Mini Fluorescent Aquarium Bulb, 1ct: Fish

I have 2 running in a 30gal tank. They currently run for 10hrs a day, but I am already considering cutting them to 8hrs a day.

I have a few questions:
1.) Are they just straight junk?
2.) If they are ok, what would they be considered? (High light? Low Light? ETC)

I truly appreciate everyone's advice! Thanks!!!

At 20 watts over a 30g you are at very low light. But they aren't junk.

If your fixture allows, see if you can up the wattage. If not you may need to change things or not.

Are you growing plants now ??
Try Java Fern, they'll grow under almost any light.

Yes... I have Amazon Swords, Wisteria, Anubias, and a fern that I just learned isn't supposed to be an aquarium plant even though I bought it at PestSmart as one.

I've used those lights on a 10g and they did great, too much light even. I used them to grow greenwater algae in the 10g.

Dimensions of the tank are important to know, as aqua_chem has asked. I currently have some 14w cfl's over a 29 and its in the low light range, but it still grows everything I put in there, and the nice thing is I've yet to see any algae issues.

The lights are ok as far as they go, but you can probably get higher wattage ones in the hardware section for less money. Lamps in the 5000K to 6500K range work fine for growing plants and look good over the tank. You should be able to find bulbs that are around 13 watts or 23 watts. The 13s should fit fine the 23s may be slightly large in diameter, depending on your fixture.

Ok, sorry for my late respone.

My dimensions are 12" deep 18" high and 30" long.

So, my husband thinks that we should switch to a LED DIY set-up for the lower costs. I found panels that have 48 leds and produce about 190 lumens each. So I am figuring I need 10-12 of those panels. The color temp of the panels is 5000k.

What do you guys think?

If any one has any suggestions that would be amazing!

At this point my tank is ultra low light because I broke my lighting fixture trying to read the specs on it and now only one side works.

My LED bulbs are set to be here in about 2 weeks.

I will keep you posted on how the project goes.

Suggestions are welcome!

Back
Top Bottom