lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heather1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon with 2--Coralife Aqualight 48" Dual Linear Strip T5 each contain; one 28 watt 6700K T5 lamp and one 28 watt Colormax (one pink one blue). My question is if i have high lighting or moderate? I am asking to try to figure out what type of plants will grow well and not have the current algae farm i have.

How long you running those lights? Your prob in the high end of med light department.. Maybe way high med light..

I'd cut down to 6 to curb the algae for a whole, you dose any ferts? How long has the tank/light setup been running?

I have had these lights since Christmas and the tank for 2 yrs. I use flourish complete in my tank.

Ok so you'll want to start dosing a liquid carbon such as excel or metricide 14 (cheaper), this will help with the algae, what your water change/tank maintainence schedule?

I also have 2 hang off the back filters 4 air stones and a sterilization pump. I also use nitra-zorb and bio-zorb in my filters.

I am not constiant with water changes but I do 10% roughly every 7-10 days.
that's going to be an issue, algae usually occurs when there is any kind of imbalance in the tank, depending on stocking a 10% wc is basically doing nothing in that size tank, no offense, what the stock?

none taken. I have mainly tetras about 25 or so with 6 clown loaches ;2-cory ; 4-glass cats ; 1- convict; 3-mollies; 1-bristle nose; 1 -mini pleco; 1- frog ; 1-Electric Yellow Labidochromis( i think that is what he is) ohh and worm looking dudes that i never see unless i move something.

Ohh boy, that's one heck if a stock! Clowns get up to 20", I'm guessing the cichlids are still small? They'll prob get crazy in that baby:/ so I know you started a lighting thread here so i will stick to that! 50% wc once a week, think about losing one colormax bulb, that much red can promote algae growth im thinking, look into a liquid carbon..

I had a snail problem and failed to realize the size the clowns grow. And the child is only suppose to get 6 inches, but yes they are babies. Ok so cut back to 6 hours of light remove my pink or blue light? do 50% water changes and add excel weekly.correct? ohh and get rid of my plants that have algae and buy moderate to low light plants. am i following this right?
As far as the fish I figure they will work themselves out right?

I had a snail problem and failed to realize the size the clowns grow. And the child is only suppose to get 6 inches, but yes they are babies. Ok so cut back to 6 hours of light remove my pink or blue light? do 50% water changes and add excel weekly.correct? ohh and get rid of my plants that have algae and buy moderate to low light plants. am i following this right? As far as the fish I figure they will work themselves out right?
you have the atnic light too? Just so were clear? 4 tubes total? 2 day, 1 cmax? 1 blue? Yes to light time! Heck yes to wc ;) what kinds if plants currently? Hmmm by fish working it out? Those cichlids could murder your whole tank in a single night if the mood so strikes.. I'd re home the cichlids and the clowns, I know it sounds drastic but it's kind of a must..

I would remove both cichlids as they WILL dig! The clowns cuz the will suffer... Load up on easy plants like crypts, Val, Downei, swords, and such... I am new too and found that small fish, shrimp, snail are really harmonious.

yes I have 1 blue light AND 1 pink light AND 2 white lights yes. not sure of the kind of plants but i do know they all have string algae on them. I do not have anywhere for the clown and the childs. I would have to somehow catch these fish and give them away. my other tank (40 gallon) has a tiger oscar in it. my 20 gallon has a puffer and child in it. and my 10 gallon has 5 ballon platies with one botis.

My daughter started this aquarium a week ago, she uses T5s too. Its 40gallon with 4 39watt bulbs. Two 10,000k and two 6,700k.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1394423889828.jpg
    1394423889828.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 1394423918211.jpg
    1394423918211.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 48
yes I have 1 blue light AND 1 pink light AND 2 white lights yes. not sure of the kind of plants but i do know they all have string algae on them. I do not have anywhere for the clown and the childs. I would have to somehow catch these fish and give them away. my other tank (40 gallon) has a tiger oscar in it. my 20 gallon has a puffer and child in it. and my 10 gallon has 5 ballon platies with one botis.
it'd be best to ditch the blue and grab another daylight.for fish.. Try a freebie in craigslist? Clowns will go quick for free! It'd be for the best! With all this information I must make a point that the tiger oscar needs atleast a 55 with amazing filtration.

Back
Top Bottom