Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I plugged it in. It's BRIGHT! Maybe a silly Q but can a light be too bright for the fish?

I note since putting the lamp in the one side the fish are all down the other end.

Fish may react to a new brighter light.. they may not come up as high for food all the time, as long as it's not equivalent to a solar flare than they'll get used to it.. biggest thing will be going from pitch dark to full light.. I usually turn the room lights on 10 min prior to tank lights as most of my lights are offensively bright too;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Fish may react to a new brighter light.. they may not come up as high for food all the time, as long as it's not equivalent to a solar flare than they'll get used to it.. biggest thing will be going from pitch dark to full light.. I usually turn the room lights on 10 min prior to tank lights as most of my lights are offensively bright too;)

Ok thx. Only 60w but its cfl not a strip so it's a small but intense light. That's not like a solar flare is it??!!

Also it's at the side of the tank not the top. Is that ok?

I have a retro fit hood with 2 13 watt and 2 26 way cfls, my fish have surely noticed it.. they seem to avoid looking straight up same as we wouldn't look right into the sun.. im.sure yours is fine and they'll get used to it..

I have a retro fit hood with 2 13 watt and 2 26 way cfls, my fish have surely noticed it.. they seem to avoid looking straight up same as we wouldn't look right into the sun.. im.sure yours is fine and they'll get used to it..

Ok thanks. It's a temporary fix. Decided to get the 48" fixture on aqua traders someone suggested. It's two bulbs of 54 watts each. In a tank 24" deep would you say that's still low light, or medium? If more towards medium, will I be OK just using excel? I don't want to go high tech.....maybe one day but definitely not now.....

You'd be fine with excel, I've moved into metricide as excel was getting rather expensive . But yes med light with the need of liquid carbon indeed

You'd be fine with excel, I've moved into metricide as excel was getting rather expensive . But yes med light with the need of liquid carbon indeed

Ok thanks! Yay, I'm excited to get my new lights!

Before hitting the button on the 48" T5 HO fluorescent lighting fixture I'm doing some research and seeing people saying don't get high output unless you're getting injected co2 or you'll be overrun with algae.

I'm not. I'm just going to use Excel.

Someone else said it should be OK because of the depth of my tank (60g long so 24" deep).

Thoughts please?

I promised my husband if I get this lighting unit it won't be a black hole of additional costs so need to make sure!

Thanks.

Define blackhole? Those bulbs get pricey.. why not get a led? Finnex makes a great product. Forgive me if this redundant..

Define blackhole? Those bulbs get pricey.. why not get a led? Finnex makes a great product. Forgive me if this redundant..

I mean I don't want to buy a high output unit if that means I have algae and then need to get injected co2.

I will look at LED but thought they were more expensive than fluorescent??

I don't think you'll have issues with the t5 and excel, run them 6 hrs a day and it should be fine. Leds will be more expensive at first, keep in mind you'll be replacing bulbs twice a year, could be over 100 yearly, 2 finnex ray 2 will be around 200-220 figuring your tank is 6'??

I don't think you'll have issues with the t5 and excel, run them 6 hrs a day and it should be fine. Leds will be more expensive at first, keep in mind you'll be replacing bulbs twice a year, could be over 100 yearly, 2 finnex ray 2 will be around 200-220 figuring your tank is 6'??

No it's 48" - 4 ft.

But thanks. I'll research it some more.....

I will no doubt have more questions later.....!

On that tall of a tank I wouldn't worry too much about having too much light, especially if you opt for a cheaper fixture. Excel is definitely a bonus, though, if you won't run pressurized co2.

I replace the bulbs in my t5ho fixtures yearly and I use GE starcoat bulbs which usually run around 6 to 8 bucks apiece.

I was just basing cost on what Ive spent on t5no bulbs which upon researching further seem to cost more than ho bulbs.. Hmmm, oh well.. 16 a year isn't bad at all..

I don't have LEDs to replace my grow tank t5ho's yet, but now that the price has come down tremendously it's becoming more feasible to do so. Instead of replacing bulbs this year (I have 14 bulbs to replace) I'll probably just get a few fixtures.

Is the RayII and/or planted+ (i think that's the name) comparable to a 2 bulb t5ho as far as PAR goes?

I don't have LEDs to replace my grow tank t5ho's yet, but now that the price has come down tremendously it's becoming more feasible to do so. Instead of replacing bulbs this year (I have 14 bulbs to replace) I'll probably just get a few fixtures.

Is the RayII and/or planted+ (i think that's the name) comparable to a 2 bulb t5ho as far as PAR goes?

I'm fairly new to the led world, planted world too, I'm going to guess that the planted plus would be equal while the ray 2 is a bit stronger, i like the planted plus because it offers reds, I'm getting great growth out if it on a 16" tank, def solid medium light..

Back
Top Bottom