Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have LEDs to replace my grow tank t5ho's yet, but now that the price has come down tremendously it's becoming more feasible to do so. Instead of replacing bulbs this year (I have 14 bulbs to replace) I'll probably just get a few fixtures.

Is the RayII and/or planted+ (i think that's the name) comparable to a 2 bulb t5ho as far as PAR goes?

Have you seen this thread on the planted forum? It has a chart which shows PAR for most common lights: Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts

I think you can compare the two you mention here.

Those folded glass tops have about a two inch gap at the back of the glass that has a plastics strip that fits into it and that you can make cut outs into to customize it to where your filter, tubing, etc. are. That's what I use with my upgraded light fixture that has "legs".

Those folded glass tops have about a two inch gap at the back of the glass that has a plastics strip that fits into it and that you can make cut outs into to customize it to where your filter, tubing, etc. are. That's what I use with my upgraded light fixture that has "legs".

Ok thx!

Update on my lighting/plants dilemma - I ordered the Odyssea T5HO 108w fixture. I was advised that would be enough lighting for those plants I have which need a little more than really low light namely: star grass & diplis diandra.

The fixture arrives tomorrow and I was all excited BUT now through more reading, I am seeing that if you have a glass top (I do - ordered that also) it significantly cuts down the PAR.

Sigh....yet again just as I think I'm getting a grip on all this a new curve ball comes along!!

If I use the glass cover do you think I still have enough light for star grass?

Quick recap: 60g with 108w T5HO and I am going to try and leave the original lights there so hopefully total of 142w in a tank 24" high.

I guess I could go without the glass top but I've already lost one fish because he jumped and I have small kids - don't want to find cheerios floating in the tank because they thought Mommy's fishies needed to share their snack!

I would go with the glass lid for a while and see how it goes plant-growth wise. It will keep the fish and and the Cheerios out.

Back
Top Bottom