Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have the lights you get with a new tank (60g). I want to keep the lights low enough that I don't need co2 injection (though I am using excel) as I want to keep it simple.

Is there a light I can get which is still low light so no need for co2 but better than the standard ones you get with a new tank? Needs to be cheap also!

Any suggestions??

If you want to keep it inexpensive and low light, check out home depot or lowes and get a t8 65k, they have cheap fixtures with decent reflectors, I would get a 2 bulb fixture if it's a 60gallon tank.

At aqua traders you can get a 48" dual T5 HO Odyssea fixture for under $50. Even though it is high output, the depth of the 60g should offset this.
You could place 4 23w CFL bulbs in dome style light fixtures from the hardware store for about $50.

I have T5HO with a 60 gallon and have found that I need to dose liquid carbon to help keep the algae at bay. Lights on for 8 hours per day.

Low Tech Tank Lighting

I have the lights you get with a new tank (60g). I want to keep the lights low enough that I don't need co2 injection (though I am using excel) as I want to keep it simple.

Is there a light I can get which is still low light so no need for co2 but better than the standard ones you get with a new tank? Needs to be cheap also!

Any suggestions??

Hello sal...

I have an old 60 G tank and use a couple of GE aquarium plant bulbs from the hardware store. The bulbs can be either a T8 or T12. Both work well for plants that require low to subdued lighting. I got the bulbs on sale for $15.00 for a pack of three. One bulb will last sell over a year.

Go for the dark green plants when you get them. These typically require low light. CO2 systems are tricky to set up and a bit pricey to maintain. CO2 isn't needed for low light plants.

Attached is a pic of my 60 G. It has Anubias nana and nangi, Java fern, Christmas moss, Hornwort, Anacharis and Pennywort. There are a lot of fish in the tank, so I don't need extra fertilizer. I just change out half the water every couple of weeks.

Have fun..

B

img_2955633_0_bab8ea82490889e65035b0b42f82b884.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Low Tech Tank Lighting

Any suggestions??

Hello sal...

I have an old 60 G tank and use a couple of GE aquarium plant bulbs from the hardware store. The bulbs can be either a T8 or T12. Both work well for plants that require low to subdued lighting. I got the bulbs on sale for $15.00 for a pack of three. One bulb will last sell over a year.

Go for the dark green plants when you get them. These typically require low light. CO2 systems are tricky to set up and a bit pricey to maintain. CO2 isn't needed for low light plants.

Attached is a pic of my 60 G. It has Anubias nana and nangi, Java fern, Christmas moss, Hornwort, Anacharis and Pennywort. There are a lot of fish in the tank, so I don't need extra fertilizer. I just change out half the water every couple of weeks.

Have fun..

B

img_2955634_0_bab8ea82490889e65035b0b42f82b884.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Hello sal...

Have fun..

B

img_2955637_0_bab8ea82490889e65035b0b42f82b884.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks BBradbury......

So I looked at the lights you suggest and they would give me the same watts per gallon as my current lights.

What I'm trying to figure out if there is something I can get which doesn't require a new hood and that I can plug into my current hood which will give me not medium light but a bit better than what I have now (0.5 w per g).

To explain why - I know you said before stick to anubias, java fern etc....but I got given a bunch of clippings of other plants which came from someone's tank (low light) and does well for them: vals, micro swords, hygros, star grass. I have planted them and guess what - they are dying fast. The vals and star grass have gone all transparent. The didiplis diandra has gone all back at the bottom of the stem.

So....I am wondering if this other person had low light, but maybe a bit more light than I have so I'm trying to figure out if I can get a bit more light without getting to medium light and without replacing the hood.

Any thoughts?

So, just spoke to someone who said the problem with my new plants could be that I don't have the right spectrum. Not that it's a lack of watts - but I don't have a spectrum designed for plant growth.

Thoughts?

Simplest you could do is go to home depot, they sell a 48" quad t8 shop.light, you plug it in and it's good to go. It will be twice the power of your current setup I believe. It's a diamond plate finish that you could easily spray paint black. I'm thinking all in with bulbs you'll be around $60-70

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Simplest you could do is go to home depot, they sell a 48" quad t8 shop.light, you plug it in and it's good to go. It will be twice the power of your current setup I believe. It's a diamond plate finish that you could easily spray paint black. I'm thinking all in with bulbs you'll be around $60-70

Thanks Brookster - I'll check it out!

A question though.....not sure if you saw my earlier post but the reason I'm looking is because I have some plants that came from someone's low light tank and do well there but are dying in mine (vals, micro swords, star grass). I thought it was maybe that they had more than the .5 watts per gallon I have.......someone else has just suggested it's not the watts I'm lacking but the correct spectrum. There are lights with the same watts that I have but a spectrum designed for plants (more reds/oranges I believe).

Any thoughts?

This is it..

Attachments

• 1401211883145.jpg
    1401211883145.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 68
sal...

With the exception of the grass plant, I've attempted to grow the others you listed, even at a little more than 1 watt per gallon of tank water, those didn't grow in my tanks. They'll need stronger light. If you have to stick to one bulb, then any of the species of Anubis, Java fern and the mosses will be fine. Keep the water pure with large, frequent water changes and dose a little Seachem Comprehensive according to the instructions when you change out the water.

This is the best I can offer if you use one bulb.

B

sal...

With the exception of the grass plant, I've attempted to grow the others you listed, even at a little more than 1 watt per gallon of tank water, those didn't grow in my tanks. They'll need stronger light. If you have to stick to one bulb, then any of the species of Anubis, Java fern and the mosses will be fine. Keep the water pure with large, frequent water changes and dose a little Seachem Comprehensive according to the instructions when you change out the water.

This is the best I can offer if you use one bulb.

B

Ok thanks. As always I appreciate the help.

So I'm reconsidering purchasing a 48" lighting fixture for my tank to increase the light. The thing I don't understand is the logistics of how to add it to the tank and cover the rest of the top of the tank? I don't think it will fit with my current hood/set up and I don't want gaps as I have fish that are jumpers. I see the one on Aqua Traders has little legs that clip onto the tank, but what do you do to fill the gaps either side of the light fixture?

Sorry if that's a stupid Q! DIY is not my forte......

Also - until I get the better lights, would it work to simply put a table lamp at the side of the tank where the plants that need more light are? I have a lamp and a 100w bulb.......would that work?

For those of us who choose not to go "topless", hinged glass tops work fine.
If you are going to use a desk lamp, if might be better to replace the incandescent bulb with a 26w 6500k compact fluorescent bulb (CFL). Those are the ones with the "curly" tubes and are found in most hardware stores for under $10.

If you are going to use a desk lamp, if might be better to replace the incandescent bulb with a 26w 6500k compact fluorescent bulb (CFL). Those are the ones with the "curly" tubes and are found in most hardware stores for under $10.

Re the table lamp - ok great thanks! The one I have at home already has a CFL so I will use that. Only 20w I think but I assume but I can get a 26w.

Re the glass lid. Ok thanks I've not seen those. I will look.

Thanks!

I am seeing the glass tops - doesn't look like any cut outs for the HOB though.....? Are they for people with canisters? I have a HOB.....

Back
Top Bottom