Lighting Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glenc

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all. I have a ten gallon tank 3 WPG, DIYCO2. Tank is a month old, and cycled.I have two Lightning Rod 15 WT aqua flora plus T-6 lights running now, believe they are 6700 K each. Seems to be doing a fine job. A friend just gave me a Lightning Rod 11000K 15 WT bulb, said it would be better to mix 6700K with the 11000K.
I have lots of Green Hygro in the back, Hygrophila corymbosa "compact" and Crypt Becketti in the middle, Chainswords, Crypt parva and Hemianthus callitrichoides"Cuba" up front. Tank is doing ok, but if it can do better by subbing one of the 6700K for an 11000K, I'm all for it. What do you think? Will it melt my Crypts? Thanks.

my crypts only melt when their roots are disturbed during replanting. I don't think a change in bulb color will be significant to them. overall light intensity stays the same.

I was going to try this thinking I was getting more light intensity. So, if I ad the 11000K bulb, it's only gonna change the colour? I take it to get more intensity I have to add more bulbs, regardless of K rating. Need more watts. I'm sorry to ask dumb questions. Ye with much knowledge must sometimes get tired. I really do appreciate all of your time.

For brightness, you need higher lumens. The k rating is for color. The more lumens, the brighter the light. And more bulbs helps too. k is color, lumens is brightness.

The kelvin rating assigned to most fluorescent tubes is merely a rough estimate of what color you can expect from the bulb. Plants do best under light in the 5000-10000 kelvin range, but are highly adaptable. I don't think the 11000 K lamp would hurt anything but it might not provide as much photosynthetically active radiation as a 6700 K lamp would.

A rough guide to some of the most common K values found in lamps as far as they relate to light color:

5000K - fairly yellow; supposedly comparable to dawn sunlight
6700K - yellowish-white; similar to noon-time sunlight
9325K - pinkish-white; has gotten very popular lately
10000K - bluish white; my favorite when mixed with some 6700K lighting to keep the colors warm
12000K - quite blue; often used in reef setups to approximate deep water sun filtration; not commonly used for planted tanks, but should grow plants fairly well

Hope this helps :) There are quite a few other lamp colors available, but those listed above are the most common types used for growing plants.

I put the 11000K bulb in and I really like the colour change when mixed with the 6700K. Thanks for breaking it down for me. Gonna go get a 10000K and try that to. I just read Malkore's excellent sticky "Beginners guide to lighting". Should have read it before I posted, though the extra info clarifys it even more. I am new to this stuff and am totally hooked on planted tanks, and am told I can be somewhat impatient! Please forgive me for posting before I do some researce of my own.

No worries at all. Never be afraid to ask questions, that's what these forums are here for :) And once the planted tank bug has you, you'll have all sorts. I know I did, and still do :p

there has been some chat lately that adding a bit of bluer light may help plants bring out their reds. Nobody came to a conclusion but I've been thinking of trying it soon.

I've used actinic lighting mixed in with my normal lights to bring out colors in my fish, but I can't say I've seen any proof that it helps plant produce red coloration. Of course I'm red-green color-blind so I am the wrong person to ask about that :p

I prefer the redder end of the spectrum (<6700k) myself...

I've got a brand new dual actinic PC bulb that I hate. That was a $50 mistake.

I just ordered a 65W CF for my 26G. Comes with a 50/50 bulb. If I don't like it, will change it out with one of my spare 6700k bulbs. Hopefully this will give a boost of growth to my java moss.

As for spectrums, I prefer the 12000k bulbs myself, in combination with 6700k. My other fixture is 260W, 4 bulbs. The 2 in the back are 12000k, the 2 in front are 6700k. There's just something about it that I like. But that's me.

For bringing out reds (besides more lumens) try using a 8000-9325K bulb. 10000K is white. Over 10000K will be a bit more blue. Under 8000K tends to lean towards the yellowish side.

Back
Top Bottom