lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ct67_72

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29 gallon planted tank. I started out with the all-glass hood and factory light, and used flourish excel and flourish iron. I added some more plants and upgraded to a zoo-med ultra sun light. it is only 18w an dseems to be the highest I can get for this hood. it is 6500k full spectrum. my plants do seem to grow faster and look a little better. I will be adding c02 this week.
as for plants I have some amazon swords, Limnophila sessiliflora, lucens, java moss, clover, dwarf sag, and Bacopa caroliniana, oh and wysteria

I think this is it, and everything seems to be growing hapily, but from what I read I need more. is there something easy to replace the bulb in the all-glass hood, or am i going to need to make something to hold extra lights. or get a double?
and suggestions welcome, thanks, Dan

You're probably going to need to upgrade the fixture in some way.

You could ODNO the current fixture, which could double your current lighting. That would get you into solid low light which really isn't enough for a lot of your plants to do well long term. They may survive, but are unlikely to thrive.

A better option would be to buy a new fixture. A single 65 Watt Compact Flourescent fixture would get you to medium light and would be enough light for most of your plants. A double 65 Watt fixture would be insanely high light, but with a 50/50 bulb and a daylight bulb could give you High light with which you could grow anything you wanted.

It really depends on what you want for your tank. Once you get into the Medium and High light ranges you need to start thinking about CO2 and dosing all ferts (Macros and Micros). ODNO would be relatively inexpensive and would allow you to grow plants without worrying about all that other stuff.

well i have c02 now. I got it today. it seem slike the more flourish excel I add the faster things grow, so I went with the co2.
I saw a retrofit kit with 2 65w bulbs, and Im thinking that might work, or I may get a glass cover and a new fixture.
if I go with a double whats the reccomendation of bulbs for what i have?
thanks again. Dan
any thoughts on one of these with the 40w maybe
http://www.fishsupply.com/supplies-lighting---accessories-satellite.html

If you decide on the 2x65W fixture, that's a lot of light for a 29G. But what you could do is with 1 of the bulbs, do a 50/50 bulb, and the other as a full 65W 6400k bulb. I have a single 65W fixture on my 26G and I had to downsize it by using a 50/50 bulb. Was just too much light for what I have in the tank and the L. repens was looking bad. But now they are coming back and looking pretty decent.

ODNO on a 29gallon is tough on a single bulb, it gives you about 36 watts of usable light (a few more in actuall light output in lumen though)..
its not too bad Its not too bad for medium to medium-high light plants.

Check out the price on a 4-F32T8 ballast localy to see if this option would be a good value for you. (or see what kind of deals you can find online)

Rules on ODNO lights, you can push them to 2x, 3x and 4x

2x = 150% light
3x = 175% light
4x = 200% light

Also keep in mind, 3x and above you will need to have fans blowing on the bulbs to get them to last any real amount of time (6 months then they need to be replaced).

I have been looking at some options, I like the orbit? I think free standing. with the moon light, and am looking at the double 65w but I think one bulb is maybe 50/50? I think this might be the best bet. an dmaybe a glass lid to put it over?
i am still a little curious about retrofitting the hood that i have to provide something good.
oh, and even with the low wattage of my zoo med bulb isnt the kelvin rating still good for now? I mean even at the low wattage the plants will last for a little wihle

so after reading another members post, I found a fixture made by jebo. dont know how good it is, but man I got one cheap. it comes with one 65w daylight 12000k bulb and one 65w actinic. and moon lights. the actinic I dont think will be beneficial right? and if anything I maybe changing for a 50/50 bulb of a lowe k. I would like the tank to look like it does now though, very natural, from a zoo-med 6700k bulb, can i acheive this with the light?

Back
Top Bottom