Lighting Question for my used 30 gal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billsgate

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi,

I'm working on a used 30 gal i got for 50$. The lighting in there was an 18 watt fitting which was rusted, so i replaced it with a new one in pvc.

So, 18 Watts...... i know, it's not much, and a normal 18 watt fitting in a tank is a bad idea, definetly when it's attached to the top of the back side but still.....what can i do to have more light in my tank? I thought about putting aluminium (tin?) foil under the hood. This hood is just one rectangular piece of pvc which is spraypainted black. Can i just put the aluminium foil on the underside? will that help? Putting another 18 Watt fitting in there is not an option.

Do you guys think i'll be able to get plants or will this become fish only?

I completely shut off the inside of the TL-fitting. There were holes on the back of the fitting, but i siliconed completely around the back, so it's good i think. I installed it exactly as the old one was installed.

Any advice is welcome.

:lol:

.5 watts per gallon? I don't think you will be able to grow very much at all. Java fern perhaps. I've read that aluminum foil is worse than the white reflectors, but it sounds like you don't even have the white reflector - so I would guess it would help - BUT aluminum foil just does not sound electrically safe. I would suggest painting the inside white if you can. But even then you still need way more light to grow very many plants.

I'm learning the hard way that getting plants growing is very expensive.

I have to agree with hashbaz on every point. That light is barely good enough to view the fish. And, high light planted tanks are expensive.

Here's the thing Billsgate. The lighting, CO2 and nutrients all must be done at the same time. If not you'll be growing some MONSTER algae. :roll:

Okey, i think i have to make me a bit more clear.
The lamp i have has 53Lumen/watt output.
I went to my lfs and saw a Juwel reflector that you can attach on top of the TL-Fitting. It said: 100% Light increase.......so let's say that's nearly true, i'll have maybe 30 Watts of light going into my tank= 1W/gallon......which should be enough to keep low light plants.

Anyone disagree? It's more then likely that i'm completely wrong.
:?

Bill,

I do disagree with that reflector's claim. No reflector in this reality can increase a bulb's output beyond what's it's rated at. In other words, the best reflector will get you to 18watts of light. With no reflector, you'd get about 9 watts, as the top half of the bulb gets wasted as it shines against the black hood.

Really, your only option is to add more bulbs, or remove this one and upgrade your lighting to VHO, or Power Compact Fluorescents (PC's). A normal fluorescent gets about 10watts per foot of tube. Power compacts get you almost 30watts per foot, and a higher intensity.

I'm not sure I understand why another 18watt bulb isn't an option, but since it isn't, you're only choice is to upgrade to PC's. A 30gallon tank should be 36" long, so a 96watt power compact would be ideal. If it's actually a 29gallon tank, and thus only 30" long, then 2x55watt power compacts would give you maximum lighting, and you could grow anything. However that much light DEMANDS CO2 injection, at least at a DIY level.

I'm going to install another 18 watt then....it's the cheapest way to have minimum lighting. It's best to have things right from the start....Right?

Tnx for the replies, i'll be working hard on my tank then....again...... :lol:

I'm not buying anymore 2nd hand tanks......if i spend the time working on the tank working at a job, i can buy me a new tank just the same...... 8O

One only learns from this.......

Call it crazy but you can grow plants with only .5 WPG!

I have a 39 Gallon (24"x12"x18") tank with only 17W of lighting, which came from my old 15G tank. I am currently growing Java Fern and Hornwort and I've just planted some Cryptocoryne Undulata. The hornwort is growing, the java fern are healthy green and one has sprouted an adventitious plant. I don't use any fertilizer, but I change my water regularly. So far the java fern has been around for a month and the hornwort for around 3 weeks.

Eventually I'll be getting a higher wattage of lighting but in the meantime my plants are doing well.

SwerveDriver,
The plants you mention are the ones that are considered low light. Java fern, java moss, hornwort, a variety of crypts, and anubias are all low light plant. Anubias do better in low light that high...they grow so slowly that under high light they tend to be the only plant that gets algae even without nutrient imbalances.

Back
Top Bottom