Lighting Question For New Rimless Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jkeating8

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello-

In the next month or so I will be upgrading my 5 gallon nano high tech to a 21 gallon rimless from TruAqua. I really like the tank. I definitely want to run a high light tank. Would a double T5HO put me in the high light range? The Zoo Med double T5 fixture is enticing.

First off, congrats on going rimless. I really like the TruAqua high clarity tanks.. They're actual AquaTop tanks. Anyways, I've been eyeing up that exact tank to replace my 12g so I'm eager to hear your thoughts on its quality when you receive it.

As for T5HO lighting, I'm not that knowledgeable but i think i recall seeing the zoo med's getting mediocre reviews. I recall reading positives on Aquatic Life, Hagen Glo, or Catalina for good quality reflectors.

Please let me know when you start your build thread..would love to follow :)

Will do! You may get to it before me because I'm 15 and need to scavenge money. Haha. I've been going nuts with all these amazing rimless tanks (along with your GLA 36-L), and finally will have the chance. I'll probably run a fluval 206 or 306- not sure yet. I'll definitely doing a build thread within the next month, hopefully! Unless you beat me to it! Lol

You'll beat me to it... it will be not till the later part of this year, if not early part of next year! LOL

I had the Zoo Med dual fixture you are refering to. So true, it was mediocre because of the reflector design on super advanced plants. I bought the Aquatic Life T5HO and it is a much better fixture. If you're going high light, high tech get the best you can afford cause rebuying something that doesn't cut it is alot more expensive. If on a budget, the Zoo Med would work on all but the most advanced high light plants especially if you go with Geiseman bulbs that would help make up for the single reflector. OS.

OS- Would a dual aquatic life still grow all plants?

Brian- That sucks! Hopefully I can get it going in the next few weeks.

YES. Assuming a 30" fixture using two 24w bulbs would give really good light for 18" depth. 48w on 21 gal = a little more than 2 watts per gal. by the old standard. Remember with high light you'll need good ferts and source of carbon. ie. Glut or CO2 injection. OS.

Ok awesome! I'm not too familiar with T5s. On my nano I just run some cfls for high light. Thanks for your help. I'll get that one then.

Back
Top Bottom