Lighting question, should be an easy answer..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mommaof4boys

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys! I am going to try a planted community aquarium. I'm going to purchase some lights because I currently only have one light. I have a 55 gallon tank with 5 Harlequins, 5 black neons, 5 black skirts, and 6 neons and 2 anubias. My anubias aren't flourishing and keep wilting.. I'm sure its the lighting... It's been moved 3 different times from 3 different tanks, but I'm finally happy with this tank and now I have to purchase the lights.... I only want to grow anubias and amazon swords, so, my question is, what kind of lights should I get? I don't want to spend a ton of money because I have a 125 that I have to purchase lights for and thats going to cost hundreds of dollars... SO... any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!!

Tank Lighting

Hey guys! I am going to try a planted community aquarium. I'm going to purchase some lights because I currently only have one light. I have a 55 gallon tank with 5 Harlequins, 5 black neons, 5 black skirts, and 6 neons and 2 anubias. My anubias aren't flourishing and keep wilting.. I'm sure its the lighting... It's been moved 3 different times from 3 different tanks, but I'm finally happy with this tank and now I have to purchase the lights.... I only want to grow anubias and amazon swords, so, my question is, what kind of lights should I get? I don't want to spend a ton of money because I have a 125 that I have to purchase lights for and thats going to cost hundreds of dollars... SO... any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!!

Hello Mom...

I keep several low light, 55 G tanks. The easiest and least expensive way would be to get a light strip that holds two, 48 inch, T8, 32 watt bulbs. Since you're keeping low light plants, this is all the light they'll need.

The rig can be bought at one of the larger hardware places like Lowe's or Home Depot. GE has a good aquarium plant bulb that's no more than $15.00 per bulb and one will last a year or more.

If you want to spend more, then research a company by the name of Solarmax. They have excellent tank lighting. A company called alphaprobreeders has some good prices on this brand of lighting.

B

Hello Mom...

I keep several low light, 55 G tanks. The easiest and least expensive way would be to get a light strip that holds two, 48 inch, T8, 32 watt bulbs. Since you're keeping low light plants, this is all the light they'll need.

The rig can be bought at one of the larger hardware places like Lowe's or Home Depot. GE has a good aquarium plant bulb that's no more than $15.00 per bulb and one will last a year or more.

If you want to spend more, then research a company by the name of Solarmax. They have excellent tank lighting. A company called alphaprobreeders has some good prices on this brand of lighting.

B

Thank you so much for your suggestions!!! :) Would something like this Deep Blue Professional 48" Double T5 Light System - 28W x 2 - Alpha Pro Breeders work?

Or do I need something more like:
Deep Blue Professional - DB SolarMaxHO -48" Double Lamp Fluorescent T5HO Light System w/Moonlight LEDs - Alpha Pro Breeders
?

Tank Lighting

Hello again Mom...

It would. I have a light from Solarmax with two 28 watt, T5s and the LED lights. It puts out plenty of light for my low light plants. I keep some of the taller Amazon swords, Anubias and Java fern. My fish like floating plants too, so I keep Anacharis (Water weed) and Pennywort.

These stem plants grow very well close to the light source. The extra LED lights are the latest thing for plant growth. If you can afford about $89.00, plus a little shipping, I think it's worth it. It would be much less time consuming than shopping for the alternative at the local hardware stores. This lighting system is well made and will last a long time.

Just one reporter's opinion.

B

Hello again Mom...

It would. I have a light from Solarmax with two 28 watt, T5s and the LED lights. It puts out plenty of light for my low light plants. I keep some of the taller Amazon swords, Anubias and Java fern. My fish like floating plants too, so I keep Anacharis (Water weed) and Pennywort.

These stem plants grow very well close to the light source. The extra LED lights are the latest thing for plant growth. If you can afford about $89.00, plus a little shipping, I think it's worth it. It would be much less time consuming than shopping for the alternative at the local hardware stores. This lighting system is well made and will last a long time.

Just one reporter's opinion.

B

Thank you for your help B! :) :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom