Lighting questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Promisedsin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to plant more in my 10 gallon tank and my hood came with 15w incandescent tube lights. I have heard of replacing them with the u-shaped florescent that they sell at my LFS but they generally go for $14. That is way to expensive when I need to buy two bulbs. I would like to keep the hood that I have. My main question is if the spiral florescent would work in my hood and how many watts approximately I should have. Or if there is another type of bulb that I could use with success. Thank you for your help :D

Not sure myself, but I know since I put the spirals in in place of the incans in my 10g it at least Looks brighter! lol
Something I've heard people mention about the spiral bulbs is that because of their shape, a good portion of that light is just hitting the bulb again where it spirals instead of the water.

+1 on the spiral CFLs. They're not ideal, but they're cheap and effective. Make sure you get the cool white, daylight, or 6700K bulbs. They're a little more expensive, but look much nicer than the cheap, very yellow bulbs I currently have in my fixtures. I believe the CFLs intended to replace 60W incandescent bulbs would be sufficient for a 10g.

Ok my main concern was that they would fit into the fixture and wouldn't cause a fire. Thank you for your input.

What kind of tank do you have, Promisedsin? My 10 gallon is one of those cheap top fin goldfish kits with 2 spots in the hood for bulbs, and the spirals fit fine inside that. I think generally if you can screw an incandescent bulb in, you should be able to fit in a cfl. I'm not sure about any fire hazards since I just switched mine yesterday, but generally flourescent runs cooler than incandescent bulbs do.

And as far as pricing is concerned, if you have anything like a Menards or other big box hardware/garden/housing store around, a lot of them have a ton of rebates and other things to watch for that might be helpful.

I have a cheap-o hood. Part of the 10 gallon kit from walmart.

Little latch in front for food and then it bumps up a bit in the back with little holes over the spots where the lights go, and little plastic cover things around the lights?

Yup thats exactly it

Sounds just like mine then. You should be fine, but just in case, before you decide to screw the bulbs in, unscrew those little plastic under hoodie things first. And don't be too rough about screwing the bulbs in. You can read all about my little debacle yesterday in The Lounge part of the forum. Haha

You'll definitely notice the difference though.

Edit: Don't forget to screw them back in afterwards. I assume they are there for some sort of reason! :)

Last edited:
Ok my main concern was that they would fit into the fixture and wouldn't cause a fire. Thank you for your input.

The smaller sizes fit without an issue. The 26W CFLs I have on my 29g actually touch the reflector and stick out of the hood so that the hood is actually resting on the bulbs. Not ideal but it works. The bulbs do get warm, but not terribly so. I have noticed a little discoloration on the plastic strip at the rear of my Versa Top from the light being too close to it.

Lol I just saw your thread. I'm surprised it still works. Hopefully I don't have any problems like that XD

cfl tend to run cooler the incandescent bulbs. dont think you really have to worry about fire just making sure it fits.

Back
Top Bottom