Lighting recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, now where should I place the checker in my tank? How deep? And should I put it the opposite end where my atomizer is? I ordered the drop checker and 4dKH from the link you provided:) thanks!

Anywhere below the water line is fine.

Opposite the atomizer would give you the worst case level in the tank. You can put it there or anywhere else. It might be a good idea to check both sides of the tank every so often just to make sure you are getting good dispersement, but it sounds like from your water movement that is probably not an issue.

So how often do you check it? And yeah I have the micro bubbles being swooped up in my circulator/power head and it spurts it out into the rest of the tank

Oh! I get it! So once you put the checker in there you don't have to take it out and replace it, you just adjust the C02 accordingly and then check it again and see if its right? I thought you would check it like you do any other water parameter, but that's neat! Sorry lol that makes much more sense now. Thanks again! Oh and do you use the Truelumen LED strips?

Yes I do, on my 12 long, pictured in my signature and in my photo albums.

Thanks!

I think I got it from Dr Foster and Smith but I am not 100% sure.

Either would be ok if you are mounting it in a hood. Only thing I am not sure on is if you can hook 2 more into the transformer if you add another 48"s worth.

Yeah same thing I was thinking about the transformer...I would only save about $7 from that website so I guess it's no big deal if I just go ahead and get a 48". So now let me see if I have this right. I'm going to start off with one 48" strip and one transformer. If I want another strip I would have to get a 3 way splitter to plug it into the same transformer, correct?

Possibly not. My light has a chord on the far end that is to plug into the next fixture. But I cannot say for sure. Best bet would be to do more reading on currentUSA's website or email them.

Hello, one more question. I was doing some more research and people keep telling me PAR-Distance or something...what does that mean? Also, do you think that if, when I get my LED strip, I find that one 48" is not enough I could try to add only one 24" or maybe even a 12" and see if that's any better? Trying to save money here lol.

PAR is Photosynthetically available radiation. It is a measure of how much usable light is available to your plants. As distance from the fixture increases, PAR decreases. The effect is even higher when the light must pass through water.

I wouldn't recommend adding just an extra 24 as you won't get full coverage. You would have higher light in one side vs the other. That being said if you only want to grow HC in part of the tank it might be fine.

Oh I see now. So if I mount one 48" about 9 inches from the surface of the water (my canopy is one foot above my tank and if I mount the strip on top of the inside of that hood it will be about 9 inches above the top of my tank) would I still get good light coverage or "PAR" to the bottom where I want to grow the plants? And yes I have my HC only in one corner of the tank but I'm trying to get DHG to grow throuout the substrate

Hey- I just ordered one 48" TruLumen Pro 8,000K LED strip, a 24V transformer, and an inline dimmer. Is this all I should need just to start with one strip? And if I find I need another strip I should not only order the strip but a 3 way splitter also correct?

Back
Top Bottom