Lighting requirements?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Myriad

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've just got back into aquariums after a 10 yr "sabbath" and this is my first foray into a planted aquarium.

I noticed the recommended lighting for plants is 2 Watts/gallon. I was trying to determine the wattage of the tube and didn't notice any markings. When I looked at the back of the hood, I saw the emblem stating "20 Watts" which I assume means the MAXIMUM wattage bulb to be used.

First is the assumption correct?
Second, I have a 29 gallon so that means I would need about a 60 W tube. Is that right? Are such high wattage short tubes available?
Third, any recommended plants for an established aquarium (and a beginner)?

Thanks

You might have a look at the "Plant" forum ... sticky on plant that is pretty good.

If your hood is flourescent, then the watts are fixed. IE only 20 watt tubes will fit & nothing else will light. So you are looking at getting a new fixture if you want more light.

There are retrofit kits available, but for short tank, you're prob looking at power compact's (You can get something like 60-80 watts in a 2' space), but they are rather expensive.

You can try low light plants - asuming you have 20 watts flourescent - things like Java ferns will grow quite well in low light & is pretty easy.

try this: http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide.php for more ideas.

Back
Top Bottom