Lighting suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattAquaBio

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of my bulbs burned out today and i decided i'd replace them both on my 55 gallon, its just the standard 55 gallon with the double hoods. The bulbs are no good for plants so i figured i'd ask here.
What are some decent bulbs i could get to fit these hoods, i just want lowlight so it doenst have to be really powerful, 1 wpg or a little less is fine.

Anything in between 5000K - 10000K color range with a CRI of 80 or more will be fine. These are usually called daylight bulbs and whatnot. Plant/aquarium bulbs are closer to 3000K but should work fine as well. It is also rumored that almost any bulb will work...even cool whites and warm whites...but i'd stick to daylight because I know they work. Hardware store bulbs work just fine.

2 T12 bulbs should put you at about 1.3 WPG. 2 T8 bulbs should put you at about 2 WPG. If you want 1 WPG or less then just get 1 bulb.

How low maintenace your tank is will depend more so on how you handle the tank rather than lighting. Its a learning process. Have fun.

When you say that you have two bulbs over the tank, do you mean two bulbs the full length of the tank, or two bulbs that each cover half of the tank? If the first then Tong's lighting estimates will be dead on, however if it's the second then you'll want to half them.

i think u have the same as i did with my 55. 2 t-8 strips that each have 1 18" bulb. which is 15 watts. this will not even give u low light no matter what bulbs u buy. i made a hood that had 2 48" t-12 bubls. it was very simple and cost me 18 dollars for the light then a few bucks in wood. if u need help pm me and maybe i can send u some pics of my set up. its always easier when u can see it first.

Back
Top Bottom