Lighting suggestions for 40T

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish 'n' fries

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

I have a 40 gallon tall tank that I have live plants in. I need to upgrade the lighting (I know it's too little right now) and am looking for suggestions. How much light can I have without needing to add CO2? (I'm not sure I want to do that yet--I'd like to stay fairly low tech with this tank) Also, in this case, what would people suggest for lights? Thanks!

rich311k said:
2 - 2.5 watts per gallon is the limit. A 65 watt pc fixture would be perfect.

2.5watt's per gallon limit? That should be the minimum for a good planted tank and a 65w would only give him only 1.6w per gallon :?

2-2.5 is the max before the need of co2. 1.6 WPG would be good for a variety of low light plants like crypts, anubias, moss stuff like that. or u could get the dual 65 watt fixture and just leave one bulb out untill u are ready for higher light then just put the other bulb in.

PC lights count a higher output than NO lights (the ones that you get with your tank)... So the rules doesn't exactly work like that. This is a good spreadsheet to calculate WPG:

http://justanothertank.com/lumens_sqin_tong.xls

Enter in the Watts in PC and 0-out the other categories. Then modify the tank size and measures and you should see the results at the bottom...

Thanks all! I was looking at my LFS today and the only CF light I saw in the right size was a coralife that said it was 50/50. Am I right that means it's half actinic and so wouldn't provide the light I want? Any suggestions of where to look for CF bulbs other than online? (I'm being impatient... don't want to wait for it to ship!) :)

shipping is usally only 2-5 days and u could look longer than that for a bulb if they are not locally available. the only place that will sell the bulbs is the LFS. CF lights are not really used for anything else besides aquariums and that is why they are expensive, u can find the light u want online very easily and it will come with the right bulbs to save u money. sometimes patience can save u alot of hassle and money in the long run.

shumway said:
rich311k said:
2 - 2.5 watts per gallon is the limit. A 65 watt pc fixture would be perfect.

2.5watt's per gallon limit? That should be the minimum for a good planted tank and a 65w would only give him only 1.6w per gallon :?

2 -2.5 watts in the limit before CO2 is a must. A 65 watt pc bulb would keep him under the limit. Since CF is brighter than NO he would be able to grow a wide variety of plants and not have to use CO2.

You do not need 2.5 watts plus for a nice planted tank. I have seen many great low light tanks.

I agree with mr. f... you will most likely pay less and get a better product if you buy online... Otherwise, look for a high-end LFS... someone who also does saltwater. They will almost certainly have good hoods, but you will pay a premium.

this or this light would be what ua re looking for. i dont know how long your tank is though so i put a link to the 30" and the 24" but they are both a single 65 watt freshwater light.

I had a planted 40 tall with the same scenario as yourself. I used a coralife fixture with two compact fluorescents bulbs. I had just over 2.5 watts per gallon, and never used co2 and always had great plant growth. It’s an expensive solution, but the 40 tall is 30 inches long which is a limiting factor. My old setup:

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA.../cl0/coralifefreshwateraqualight30doublestrip

http://lightbulbsdirect.com/Merchan...=PROD&Store_Code=001&Product_Code=F55BX-AR-FS

40_tall.jpg

My current setup is lower in light out put for anubias. I have two fixtures that house 2 x 20w T12 fluorescent bulbs giving me 2 watts per gallon. They are set up on a timer and run 4 hours at 1 w/g in the morning, three hours off, 7 hours at 2 w/g and finish the day for 1 hour at 1 w/g. The fixtures are similar to this one:

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA.../allglassfluorescenttwintubestriplight30black

There are lots of options butt because of your tank footprint you're going to be limited in solutions and there will be some cost associated with an improved lighting solution. Good luck.

Thanks all for the input. The tank's actually 36'' long...so that makes it a bit easier (hopefully). I may have to resort to DIY unless I moonlight extra. :) I just know the one strip NO 24'' light that I have now doesn't cut it! If I do go to the 65 watts CF, what do you all recommend for fertilization?

potassium for sure and a trace mix like CSM+B or flourish comprehensive. u may need nitrate and phosphate but it depends how fast the fish are producing it and how much u feed.

All right, one final question/clarification. I looked into the CF specifically. if I get a 34'' bulb it would be 96W which would give me 2.4 watts/gallon. But someone made a comment that CF watts are brighter? So does that mean I should definitely get the shorter bulb and stay with 65W? I do want to maximize my plant selection without adding the extra work of CO2...although I have this fear that as addicting as this is, I may end upgrading in a few more months! :)

lol u will definatly end up ugrading one u see the plants u can grow. co2 really isnt all that hard. its just a matter of your patience of redoing the mixture. i suggest u get a fixture that can support 2 bulbs and then only run one for now untill u are ready for co2 then put the other one in. 96 watts of pushing it. it could be ok or it could be just over the edge. only way to find out is to try lol. coralife makes a nice double 96 watt fixture. i was looking into it for my 46 gal bowfront i was planning.

fish 'n' fries said:
All right, one final question/clarification. I looked into the CF specifically. if I get a 34'' bulb it would be 96W which would give me 2.4 watts/gallon. But someone made a comment that CF watts are brighter? So does that mean I should definitely get the shorter bulb and stay with 65W? I do want to maximize my plant selection without adding the extra work of CO2...although I have this fear that as addicting as this is, I may end upgrading in a few more months! :)

sorry, I messed up. I was thinking of something else.

Back
Top Bottom