Lighting - Too Much Info, a simple solution if possible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kweku414

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Haven't been in the aquarium game for about 8 years. Have a 75(?)gal bowfront. Going to grow a good number of plants (the types and variety you find in those online pet shops special packages) and enough community fish to keep it interesting (along the advice or specs seen in those aquarium competitions (I know still very ambiguous).

Building my own hood for 3 or 4 fixtures - depending on the advice I get here. The number and types of light fixtures and bulbs have gotten stupid (in my opinion). I just want everyone (fish and plants) to be happy.

So, what selection of bulbs/fixtures (the Ts or compacts, or regular fluorescent lights) would y’all suggest. I’m not on a budget per se, but I don’t like spending more money then I HAVE to - I’m a Buick/Honda kind of guy (quality, but right in the middle).

OK. Thanx a plenty.

If convenient to the responders you can email me at kweku414@aol.com (<<<is this ok to suggest in this chatroom?)

Welcome to AA!

You just saved yourself a ton of cash if you are building your own hood. That just leaves the ballast, reflectors and bulbs.

The bulbs you want are totally dependent on the amount of light you want for the tank. The stickies at the beginning of this forum give a run down on the light levels.

This is just a sample of the remaining equipment you will need. The 96 watt kit will give you @ 1.2wpg. Lot's of nice plants can be grown out up to 2 wpg. After 2, you will need CO2 injection (a little more $$$). Above 3 wpg is what you would normally see in those "works of art" contests.

Lots of folks are into T5's now, I'm still a CF guy myself.

HTH.

Appreciate the quick response.

I'm thinking low to moderate (<2wpg)- not interested in a high maintenance system.

Is that 96W kit a: CF, T5, or something else? and is there a specific vendor you'd suggest?

Having read many, many x 1M of these threads, I think I will do a DIY CO2, it appears it will help the plants

Are the T5's a newer aquarium retail technology than the CF? or you just don't see the need to change what's working for you?

Is that 96W kit a: CF, T5, or something else? and is there a specific vendor you'd suggest?

Those are CF's, state of the art until the advent of the T5. The T5's have been around awhile but have recently become a "must have" due to it providing more lumens (more on that later) and being cost effective since they are NO. You can pick up either of these online at either http://www.bigalsonline.com or http://www.drsfostersmith.com.

Having read many, many x 1M of these threads, I think I will do a DIY CO2, it appears it will help the plants

DIY CO2 doesn't work with tanks your size. You would need the supercharged injection system.

Actually, if you stay below 2wpg (which is where I am), CO2 will not be a concern. You can always upgrade at a later time. I have the CF as a recent upgrade this year. Prior to that, I was using NO @ 1wpg. I hate tossing $$$ down the drain, so I'm giving the current lighting a chance to show it's stuff.

How deep is the tank? That will play another roll, as the deeper the tank, the more light needed for penetration. The other reason I mention this is some of the bowfront tanks are usually deeper, and not wider.

Like Jchillin mentions above, I myself am a CF guy as well. And it's like the old saying goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. So I just stick to what I have, as it does the job intended.

As for the 96W, sounds like a good start. That will get you some decent plant selections.

Also, if you go CO2, you will need to go Pressurized for that size tank. DIY can work, but you will have lot's of 1G jugs under the tank, and with the cost of the sugar, yeast, etc, the pressurized will cost much less in the long run. The DIY lasts only a few weeks at most, and you'll be redoing lots of bottles often. I have a pressurized system on my 75G. The 5lb bottle lasted me 6 months. And only costs 14.00 for the refill. Now I have a 10lb bottle on the 75G, and moved the 5lb bottle to the 29G. Just waiting to get the rest of the system to install on the 29G.

I'll second Jchillin's suggestion to check out AHSupply for a lighting kit for you hood. They're very reasonably priced and have great service. You can always add another kit or two down the road if you decide that you want to upgrade to a high light tank with all the bells and whistles. Until then save yourself the headache and don't bother trying DIY CO2 on that big of a tank.

OK...back again.

I believe I will chill on the CO2 for the moment.

However, I just ordered a two-bulb T5 ballast kit (ARO 220 Watt VHO solid state electronic ballasts with advanced Rapid Start technology) off ebay- great price, I'm hoping there are no catches to this vendor - his record was good and the ballast appears to be the same (maybe a different manufacturer) than other ARO 220 Watt VHO.

The product description said it would support 2 - 48" bulbs or 220watts. Now the question I pose to you folks is: What two bulbs do I get? I was considering 2- 48" Coralife T-5 6,700K Plant Lamps. Or do I get one of the 6,700s and one of the Coralife Colormax. Or do you suggest something else?

Now despite this ballast kit acquisition by me, I have to say I am a little confused. The bulbs described above are rated at 28watts, but how do I reconcile that with the ballast saying it supports 220W or 2 - 48" bulbs, which if they are the two bulbs above would equal only 56W (2 bulbs at 28W each).

I really appreciate your comments.

Again, thank you.

I know little about T5 bulbs, and I'm not sure the ballast you got was meant for T5HO's and VHO's, or only VHO's.
Cuz normally a 48" VHO bulb is 110watts. T5's use fewer watts, and produce even a little more light.

I would wait until the ballast arrives, and read the owners' manual since it'll be pretty explicit about what bulbs to buy. I know VHO and T5 both use electronic ballasts, just like PC bulbs...and that many of those ballasts are load-sensing...meaning it can detect the bulb you plugged in, and run it at the correct wattage. The thing I think might be the problem is I don't believe the end caps are the same between T5 and VHO, so you might need new caps, and a little wiring.

I'm very much a CF/PC guy, and love teh AH Supplyl kits. if your ballast does end up running T5 bulbs, you absolutely wanna get Tek5 reflectors for them. These are THE reflector for T5 bulbs...much like the MIRO reflectors from AHsupply are THE reflector for CF bulbs.

From what I remember reading the lumen output is just a tad better then VHO and pretty close to average MH outfits for T-5HO.

If you deside to get T-5HO paribolic reflectors and a programed start ballast is ideal.
Tek5 and the IceCap's new T-5 reflecors are the high performers, and Icecaps good old VHO ballasts (the 440 and 660) are almost ideal for there programed start feature (there are T-5HO specific ballasts that are also a fine choice)

As everyone mentioned AH supply has a very good product with there CF kits if you would like to go that route.

kweku414 said:
Now despite this ballast kit acquisition by me, I have to say I am a little confused. The bulbs described above are rated at 28watts, but how do I reconcile that with the ballast saying it supports 220W or 2 - 48" bulbs, which if they are the two bulbs above would equal only 56W (2 bulbs at 28W each).

I am no expert .... just researching an upgrade to my lights. As I understand it, there are regular T5's at 28W and T5HO's at 54W for the 48" bulbs. For your ballast/tank, I think you want to get the 54W T5HO's and not the 28W's.

Also, the fancy new ballasts can run many types of bulbs, so you prob can run either VHO or T5HO from your ballast <some will run CF's as well>. Generally, the ballast instructions should have a list of bulbs it is compatible with.

Here's an A&H job I did using 1/4 popular hobby wood from Home Depot
I used 330 w, 4x 8800K 55w byulbs(11$ @ hellolights.com on sale often)
2x 5000K lights.

Very easy to add.
CO2 is fun and almost all that try it, love it.
You can see the plants grow.
But the mainteance factor with a good well run non CO2 tank is super.

Back
Top Bottom