lighting upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish 'n' fries

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 40H tank. Currently it has 65 W CF lighting (which is a 30'' light fixture--not as long as the tank) and the original 20 W NO fixture (also only 30'' long). I have them set so they're staggered with the idea that I'm lighting the whole tank at least somewhat. I did this originally because the 36'' fixtures were only 96W and I was trying to avoid needing CO2.

Well, since then, I've started using Excel and am quite irritated with the lack of consistent lighting in the tank; so now I'm debating buying a 36'' fixture.

So the question is: do I get the full 96W fixture or the saltwater with the actinic? I'm still planning on sticking to Excel--but not CO2. I have E. tenellus and Marsilea species and still want them to have enough light. I'm not likely to care adequately for a tank that needs constant pruning. Currently, I feel my lighting is too yellow. What would be people's thoughts about the best fixture for me? Thanks.

How about something like this?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=16770&N=2004+113175

They are combining 10k and I guess 6700k which will whiten up your tank from the yellow. If it's still too yellow, you can always get another 10k bulb. T5 will work better reaching the bottom of your tank than PC will, but I dunno if it'll be too much light for CO2 or not, have to wait for someone for plant knowledgeable to say yes or no.

If you went with the sw fixture you'll be cutting your usable light in half (plants can't us actinic) but it'll have a better look to it. I'd still stick with the fw version.

That fixture would definately put you into the grey area of possibly requiring carbon supplementation. As Devilishturtles mentioned the SW version with the 50/50 bulb would be effectively halving your lighting. I suspect that this would reduce the lighting to a point where your E tenellus would no longer be happy. Since you are planning on continuing to use the Flourish Excel (which is a carbon source) I think you should be fine with that fixture and using a fully daylight bulb. The higher kelvin ratings will give the aquarium a bluer cast instead of yellow. I tend to find it too blue for my tastes but it does bring out the colors of the fish.

Thanks! I realize that the SW light would take me to essentially 45W over 40G. I liked the idea from the aesthetic end but was worried about the plants. (I also like it from the lazy, I know I won't prune weekly consistently, end).

I figured that was a grey area with the E. tenellus--was really hoping someone was growing it with just a bit over 1 wpg of CF...guess not. :(

The T5 strip is an interesting thought--I have them over my small tank and they're ok color-wise--don't love them but they are better than the yellow I have now. Guess I'll keep looking/debating. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom