Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kasakato

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just got a new light fixture for my 20g planted tank. The colour of the bulb is purple. Is this good for my plants?

It's not the colour of the bulb that is good for your plants, you have to look at the spectrum your lamp produces. I believe (although i may be wrong) that your purple light is a kind of plant growth bulb. But you should check on the package of the lamp what it says. If you see a spectrum chart and it has lot's of blue in it, it isn't very good, blue spectrum will increase algae growth (that's what i read anyway).

HTH and hope some expert people help you out.

Actually, I bet he's describing an actinic bulb. Does your fixture say it came with a 50/50 bulb? If so, then the purple/blue half isn't useful to the plants, and you're only at half the wattage.

Plants need both red and blue spectrum, but primarily red. That's why actinic03 bulbs just don't do much for plant growth.

Heh, I almost mentioned that light fixture, as it's the only normal output fluorescent that comes with plant bulbs, specifically they are the NO version of the 9325K GE power compacts. After a few days of use they'll look more pink than purple.

So yeah those are ok.

Back
Top Bottom