lights for 75g tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEANS

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I just started a cichlid tank that I have plenty of rocks and going to add some drift wood to. I would like to make it a planted tank, nothing heavy or alot of plants just some to make it look nicer and real. Where would I get the light bulbs / fixture at to have enough for my 75g tank. I am going to be adding mostly java ferns to. Also I have sand substrate is this going to be a big problem? I was thinking of attatching the ferns to the rocks and driftwood though. thanks for any help.

ps. could I just get a fluorescent bulb put it on a fixture that is clipped on the side of my tank? I have a reg 32w fixture on it right now that i would have on it with the bulb i add on the side.

Welcome to AA!

I doubt you would be able to keep any plants alive with your stock 32W fixture.

For a 75gal low light tank, you are going to want to put a fixture on there that is at least 70+W. 100W would probably be more ideal to grow low light plants like java ferns.

Most likely, you will want to go with either PC Florescent, or t5ho bulbs. Lighting is the most important element of a planted tank, but it can get a little pricey.

Java fern will actually grow better attached to driftwood or rocks than if you were to plant it in the substrate, so that is a good idea. Your sand isn't a problem though, it will be fine for plants. It just might be a pain to get the plants to stay planted in it. The finer the substrate, the more difficult it is to plant.

root tabs would be good if you are not using any kind of speciial aquasoil. Even a low tech setup, they can really work wonders for your tank. They are available at most LFSs, even petsmart.

side note: cichlids are known for digging up plants and rearranging the decorations.

Hey thanks a lot guys I appreciate all the tips. hey fort where can I get those lights your talking about. My mount on top of the tank (the stock one) is 40W max I think so ill need a new hood too I guess ><. Are those PC Florescent, or t5ho bulbs sold in LFS or Petsmart etc? Also just guessing what do you think a 75W bulb with hood (holder on top not sure the proper name) would cost me. Thanks again and any other tips will help.

also Swerner13 yeah I know I just hope they don't dig too much hehe, they have already dug little holes around some of the plants to lay in.

Edit: Also I forgot to add I went to a local store where I live and bought a plant aqaurium fluorescent bulb (40w) and another 65W plant growth bulb to hopefully keep the plants I have now from dieing until I can get the proper one. Think this will help some until then?

Last edited:
I haven't read previous post so I hope i'm not repeating anyone.

Beans, since you have such a huge tank, most fixture that will fit your tank that are sold buy aquarium manufactors will cost you 100s and 100s of dollars.

I suggest you getting a shop light that you can either mount on the wall or from the ceiling. Since lighting is so expensive i'm going to do it for my 55G, so you can do it for your 75G aswell. Will save you tons of money and you'll still get the right lighting. You can just put in some flourecent plant lights. The shop lgiht will cost you no more then 30-40 dollars, I think I was told about 10-20 dollars. You can purchase them at lowes or home depot.

thanks for your help, if I bought two 65W plant bulbs and ran them outside (infront) of my tank when im home (roughly 6-7 hrs) and day with the stock light on top always on do you think this would be enough for some low light plants? they are cheap and made specifically for aquarium plants but they mount in a fixture that doesnt sit on top very well so id just run them from the front looking in my tank when Im home. so it would be a 32w stock light on top always on unless im sleeping, and two 65w bulbs made for plants in front facing in my tank running about 5-7 hrs a day.

yeah I have a pic of one of the two. By the way I just bought a new 130w fixture to sit on my tank but here is one of my two on the outside.

Attachments

• Fish and plants 053.jpg
    Fish and plants 053.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 54
are you sure its 65w? do you have a pic of how your lighting the tank?

my guess is thats just a cfl bulb thats what 23watts also plants grow towards light so having it on the side they wil grow to that,

yeah its 65w for sure, I bought it from the store the other day and i still have the package. well this is just a temp setup until I get my 130W fixture that will sit on my tank. it was on back order so will take another week before I get it. So I rigged this to try to give my plants enough light until then.

Back
Top Bottom