Lights for a 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brandonsfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
What light would I get for my 55 gallon tank to do moderate light plants?

I have a current USA light above my 29 right now and only problem is they are expensive. If you are going to spend $200 I would suggest either the top teir odeysea light which would have 216 watts for t5 ho for the 55. You could always take some,bulbs out for less light. It also has a built in timer. If you are looking for around the $150 range I'd go with a coralife fixture. I just got one for my dirted 55 and it is great. I just changed out the antec blue bulb for a 6700k build for better plant growth. Over a great fixture. Check both of those out depending on your budget.

Now I'm confused. I was told by several fishkeepers and local Aqua co-ops that anything but LED is the way to go. Many reasons that make sense: environmental, cost, etc. I'm about to toss all of my CoralLife light fixtures because I can't find replacement bulbs for them. What is up with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can use any bulb that is for the fixture, it doesn't have to be made by the same,company. You can get try ho and t8 bulbs just about online fish retaler... Also led is good for fish only and is just starting to get better for plants.

For 150 and plants I get an coralife fixture and an extra 6700k bulb

Now I'm confused. I was told by several fishkeepers and local Aqua co-ops that anything but LED is the way to go. Many reasons that make sense: environmental, cost, etc. I'm about to toss all of my CoralLife light fixtures because I can't find replacement bulbs for them. What is up with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

LED is the way to go. Having said that, they are pricey.
http://www.designrecycleinc.com/led comp chart.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
When I'm looking at a led fixture what are the specs I need for a planted tank?

Back
Top Bottom