limiting carpet plant substrate coverage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RevLine

Aquarium Advice Activist
this may seem like an outrageous question, but is there a way to limit the extent of substrate coverage of a carpet plant, let's say HC or dwarf hairgrass? like if you only want it to grow in a soil bed but not on sand, of which the soil kind of blends onto the other substrate.

Not outrageous at all! You need to put in a divider. They sell them (somewhere online). They are basically flat, flexible plastic sheets. Think book marks. You can make them yourself by cutting up food grade flexible cutting board material. Those should come in different colors so you can select one that won't look so obvious in case it gets exposed. These can be used to help prevent plants from spreading where you don't want them to or to keep different carpets plants separated.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Love the simple solution thank you! I'm assuming any untreated plastic or silicon would work?

And in regards to that: If I wanted to keep let's say, a small circular patch of dwarf Hairgrass, would planting it with the wool that came with it also help keep it from spreading? or even encasing the roots in a plastic cylinder/container within the substrate?

Yes, untreated.
I don't have any DHG so not sure how to answer that. Pretty sure it should come out of the rock wool.

I've seen tanks where some of the plants were "potted" to keep the plant from spreading. Burying to pot would have the same effect as using the plastic dividers, but less customizable since you'll be restricted to the size/shape of the pot.

all righty then. just added it to my list of things to get for my 2.2g cube project! thanks for your input, everyone.

For the circle a small section of a large diameter pvc may work

Back
Top Bottom