Liquid CO2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bflem

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm fairly new to planted tanks. I believe I understand the basics, but when it comes to CO2 I'm not sure. I currently have API CO2 booster. It is a liquid I add daily to my tanks. Everything I read on here talks about injection systems. Does the liquid work or am I wasting time/money?

I'm using the booster only too.i have been using it a few months and my plants are doing good sprouting,I'm afraid to use co2 because of my fish but may try it

I think liquid carbon glutaraldehyde based products work, look up Rivercats 220g tank as case in proof. However, IMO, although it's effective, i still think it's not as effective as actual co2 supplementation.

I'll quote Seachem's explanation of this because i can't say it any better myself. If co2 is a 10 in terms if effectiveness, then liquid carbon is like a 6-7. http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/FlourishExcel.html

Edit: I think liquid carbon is totally fine in low light tanks. Moderate to high, I'd go pressurized co2.

Last edited:
I believe that the glut, being carbon based is definitely a plus on low-med light setups. It allows the plants to "geta leg up on the competition" ALGAE.
If you want to do a med-high light then I'd go pressurized.
Rivercats dumps alot of glute in her tank to compensate for not having a pressurized system. You just gotta make the choice of which way would be more beneficial to what you want to do.

Back
Top Bottom