Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2014, 06:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Liquid co2 v. Pressurised system

Hello i have a 55g planted with MH 250 watt fixture. I use flourish excel for carbon but was wondering if liquid co2 like api co2 booster is a viable use for co2 and will it make my plants grow. I currently have 4+ watts per gallon. All help apprectiated thank you, jorge

Old 04-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think they're the same thing?????

Old 04-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, they are the same thing. I am just pointing out semantics at this point but they aren't actually CO2 additives. they just add a fancy liquid carbon molecule known as Glutaraldehyde to the water that your plants can absorb. Plants grow about half as fast on them as they do true CO2.

Instead of either of those supplements go with this Cidex Metricide Omnicide 14 Day Sterilization Gallon | eBay

It's 2x as strong so you will only need to dose half as much compared to excel. You might also look at increasing your dosage altogether if you have a heavily planted tank.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey mebbid, I'm not wanting the whole gallon, they have quarts of metricide 14 cold?? Sane thing??
Old 04-01-2014, 02:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thank you mebbid! How much should i dose with metricide 14? I dont suppose there are instructions on the bottle ..
Old 04-01-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Hey mebbid, I'm not wanting the whole gallon, they have quarts of metricide 14 cold?? Sane thing??
I would assume it's the same aside from being 2x as expensive.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

That doesn't hurt the bacteria cycle?
Old 04-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdiaz9026 View Post
Thank you mebbid! How much should i dose with metricide 14? I dont suppose there are instructions on the bottle ..
Nope. Basically follow the directions on the excel bottle but half the dosage. So the recommended dosage of the metricide 14 would be 1ml every 20 gallons of tank volume daily. It is safe to dose up to 1ml per 2 gallons of water assuming you slowly work your way up to that high of a dosage. I.E. start out at 1ml / 20g then after a week or so 1 ml / 10g, then after another week 1ml / 5g. The need to do that will depend on how heavily planted your tank is though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishEggs View Post
That doesn't hurt the bacteria cycle?
Nope. Its basically the exact same thing as Seachem's excel except 2x as strong. I dose 5ml of the metricide in my 10g tank daily which is 10x the recommended dosage of excel and have had absolutely no issues with it.

Tags
co2, stem, system

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com