Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2019, 02:30 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Fisher View Post
Running water through copper pipes doesn't leach copper for FYI. Standing water in pipes for extended amounts of time can but as soon as you turn on the water for a few seconds it's gone. I guess if it concerns you enough you could run your tap water for 20-30 seconds before you use it.
Oh im not worried about that lol but actually your very wrong , i worked in water and sewer for a while the constant running water through the pipes desolves copper .. be it minuscule amounts.. it still erodes , actually water is by far the most detructive thing on planet earth because with enough time and movement, it can eat through anything. From rock to steal glass , water is very destructive. the only thing that matters though is the fact that we are talking next to nothing .. im not worried about the natural occurring copper in my water , im just wondering what levels become toxic ? That fert has .0003 i believe i cant imagine thats enough to harm invertebrates. Originally i was just saying the amount cant be that bad cause im sure the water would have trace amounts in ot to begin with.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:20 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

That depends on a couple things actually. If your water is acidic then it's prone to leaching. Not so much if it's alkaline. And age of the pipes but we're talking upwards of 100 years old. Standing water in copper pipes is really the only issue outside of these things. But we can agree to disagree.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:42 AM   #13

Makes alot of sense lol the water around here is pretty acidic, but my point was more the percent copper, what levels are bad and what levels where in the water already that could be bad for shrimp, lead is toxic to humans but the health canada guidelines allow 0.2 mg/L . Apparently not enough to harm us im sure lol
Old 03-12-2019, 03:46 AM   #14

Im really just curious what level of copper is bad i guess , kinda got off topic about substrate though. do you agree that liquid fertilizer is a better choice then trying to add substrate?
Old 03-12-2019, 05:22 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

For human consumption I think copper is said to be safe up to 2 mg/L. Not sure with fish long term.

I keep low light plants in regular substrate of gravel and sand with Thrive liquid fertilizer and all is well. I use a cheap LED strip that mounts under the hood of my tank for lighting.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:38 PM   #16

And how is that working for ya ? Im keeping acouple plants that i might have to get rid of becuse there not doing the best , im going to try thr thrive and see how that goes first , i have one 20w t8 and an led bar so hopefully sufficient lighting
Old 03-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

To be honest ZxC is the plant guru. I've learned a lot from him.

As for my experience, I've found that 8-10 hours with a cheap LED strip and Thrive liquid fertilizer has been enough to keep healthy plants in my tank. I say 8-10 because I didn't really notice a difference in plant health between the differing hours but It did get slightly more Algae at 10 hours. They may not grow as fast as they should or as big as I've seen but they are healthy and good size/growth rate.

There's a lot to look at to achieve healthy plants. Tank size, lighting, ferts, water parameters, minerals......it made my head hurt listening to ZxC sometimes. Lol. But once it's dialed in it's a relief.

I think your light is sufficient depending on how tall your tank is. I'd definitely go with a basic substrate and add an all in one liquid fertilizer like Thrive. It turned my low light plants around for the better.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #18

Quote:
To be honest ZxC is the plant guru. I've learned a lot from him.

As for my experience, I've found that 8-10 hours with a cheap LED strip and Thrive liquid fertilizer has been enough to keep healthy plants in my tank. I say 8-10 because I didn't really notice a difference in plant health between the differing hours but It did get slightly more Algae at 10 hours. They may not grow as fast as they should or as big as I've seen but they are healthy and good size/growth rate.

There's a lot to look at to achieve healthy plants. Tank size, lighting, ferts, water parameters, minerals......it made my head hurt listening to ZxC sometimes. Lol. But once it's dialed in it's a relief.

I think your light is sufficient depending on how tall your tank is. I'd definitely go with a basic substrate and add an all in one liquid fertilizer like Thrive. It turned my low light plants around for the better.
Thats a good idea ! Tanks about 18 inches tall , lights sit at about 20 inches , ill definatly have to pay attention to ZxC. I found since i started the tank its almost half about fish and half plants . I really want to see everything fill out nice , i might have to go to the lfs and see if they have thrive. The ol ball and chain hates when i spend money on the fish now but its my birthday ill take the chance ��
Old 03-12-2019, 11:55 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I got an 18 inch tank as well so your lighting should be fine.

Look online for Thrive. It might be cheaper.

Happy Birthday!!
Old 03-13-2019, 12:12 AM   #20

Quote:
I got an 18 inch tank as well so your lighting should be fine.

Look online for Thrive. It might be cheaper.

Happy Birthday!!
Thank you much ! Ill definitely have to do that , is flourish no good ? Or thrive just much better

Tags
ate, fert, ferts, substrate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com