Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2004, 11:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
List some low light plants plz

I was just wondering what low light plants there are. I have some type of amazon sword that grows really fast in lower light levels and since it's got some more light it's leaves are a lighter green then they were, but I guess it's doing just fine since it's already produced another plant.

Old 11-24-2004, 12:17 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I found a list with links to pics... Low Light List I've heard some good things about this seller... whether or not the list is accurate i couldn't tell you. You might want to take a look and see if there is anything you like and do some more research on those particular plants. I guess it depends on how "low light" you mean.

HTH

Nystina

Nystina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to XxTitleisTxX
java moss, java fern, anubias barteri, nana and the rest, cryptocroyne wendtii and some more...
Old 11-24-2004, 07:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Umberle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystina
I found a list with links to pics... Low Light List I've heard some good things about this seller... whether or not the list is accurate i couldn't tell you. You might want to take a look and see if there is anything you like and do some more research on those particular plants. I guess it depends on how "low light" you mean.

HTH

Nystina
some of them certainly look intriging... like the tiger lotuses but I don't remember pennywort being listed as a low light plant at plantgeek.net might be listed as a medium-low though.

www.plantgeek.net has plants organized by their light requirements but the sites down right now.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:08 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to swanandmokashi
aponogeton and water lily bulbs sold in wal-mart. I have had excellent results with them in my 29 gallon..I just have 15 Watts of light there.
Fish : 10 Tiger Barbs, 2 Blue German Rams, 2 Bolivian Rams, 1 Rainbow shark
swanandmokashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 04:07 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Mostly what people consider low light plants are Anubias, ferns, mosses, and Cryptocorynes, (some, not all). Everything else is highly subjective to ones own interpretation. For example, Aponogetons and Tiger Lotus. Under proper light and conditions these plants grow to be huge. Aponogetons leaves grow to over 2 feet, and one full grown Tiger Lotus can nearly fill up a 29 gallon aquarium. I have seen some WEB sites list Cabomba and Anacharis as a low light plant, which is kinda ridiculous. A sword plant under low light might not die and stay six inches tall for a year, but under proper conditions would reach almost two feet in height and have over 30 leaves on it within six months. I would disagree with over half that list for true low light plants, but an online dealer like that doesn't really define what low light is, and many people don't even agree on what the minimum should be. I found if you have a minimum of 2 watts of flourescent light per gallon of water, you can grow most plants except the most light demanding. But I still call that low light. If you have less than that, your best bet for healthy plants is any Anubias, water ferns, aquatic mosses, and some Cryptocoryne species, (mostly the common Sri Lanka species like wendtii, lucens, lutea) Most other plants would struggle.

Tags
light, low light, low light plant, plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com