Live plant recommendations??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minahoggan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay, so I've been toying with the idea of keeping live plants in my betta tank. I'm waiting on some supplies to come in the mail so I can cycle it before I purchase a fish, but before I get started I thought I would explore my options for live plants.

The thing is, I don't know anythinnnnng about live plants. I've read a thing here or there, but I really don't know squat. So I was wondering what suggestions anyone might have! I'm looking for very low maintenance plants - I won't have any fancy lighting structures or CO2 emitting machinery or any other fancy gadgets I hear people mention every once in awhile. I have a 3.5 gallon currently but plan on upgrading to a 5 gall. in the next few months when I get the money.

I heard something about frogbit - it looked cute. And also, should I wait before or after I cycle to keep the plants? I know the BB need darkness to thrive, and so maybe it would be best to wait until after the tank is cycled to keep the plants in there (because I'm sure most need at least SOME light).

Suggestions?? I hate being a novice.. :hide:

I have in a 2.5 g.
Anubias nana
Java fern and java moss
Dwarf hair grass
Ludwigia don't know the species

I've heard that dwarf hair grass needs strong light. It will grow in gravel. You can cycle a tank with plants in it. Some root tabs might be helpful.

The other one was dwarf sagittaria. I cycled my tank with filters and water from my established 40g tropical. Im bad at cycling so I rush things. Patience really is the key.

I've heard that dwarf hair grass needs strong light. It will grow in gravel. You can cycle a tank with plants in it. Some root tabs might be helpful.

By strong light, what wattage are you talking about? I'm considering investing in a high wattage desk lamp. I'll keep this in mind.

Probably a light that puts out 6,500 k wavelength. Not sure about wattage. There are several threads and articles about planted tank lighting.

Anubias nana.
Java Fern.

Java fern, IME, can basically grow in blackness. Great plant for beginners. I still use it and love it.

Dwarf sag is great too

Back
Top Bottom