Live plant swaps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Balbright1993

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

I have had my tank for about 2 months now and until today i have use fake plants. Today however i bought some eloda densa and plopped them in in two bundles. If they work out I'm going to trade out plastic plants one at a time for live ones. I am seeking advice on keeping these eloda densa going, do you have any? IMG_1477047261.621929.jpg

Healthy looking elodea you have there. I don't think this plant needs any special requirements. I'd see how it goes. Looks from the picture that you have the bioload to support these plants i.e. Co2 production and nutrients from fish waste.

Yeah i thought they looked cool too, i have just used the gravel to hold them down hopefully they dont float away, do you know if they will root?

Yeah i thought they looked cool too, i have just used the gravel to hold them down hopefully they dont float away, do you know if they will root?

I think they send out shoots from the nodes. The lowest of which will try to anchor in the gravel. If your lighting is too intense you could run in to trouble but with two bunches of elodea in there you should be ok.

What size tank is this and how many fish do you have?

I have a 20 (US) gallon tank with 13 platies and a betta, temp is 26 degrees [emoji5]

I hope you are snail free! I added that plant to my tank once and the next morning it was reduced to stems! Fat full snails slept for days.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks good :) just remember as u add more plants the demand for ferts and co2 will increase so if u add a few more and they start to struggle abit then u may need to look into root tabs and flourish and excel :) start off with nice easy plants like these anubias and Java fern, crypts etc and see how they go :) goodluck! :)

30g planted, 90g Oscar tank

With stems I usually separate them out so that the leaves are just touching so the bottoms get light.

Some anacharis hate warm water. Some will grow anywhere.

If it floats, it will still grow usually.

Back
Top Bottom