Live plants newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellenquacker72

Aquarium Advice Freak
About a month ago I bought a moneywort bunch, and 3 jack ferns. The ferns haven't changed at all as far as I can tell, not growing, not dying. They do have many little 'baby' (?) sprouts that seem to be doing well. But there are a few reddish patches on them.
But it's my moneywort that is having issues, I think it's slowly deteriorating. Basically all the seed pod thingys (I really have no idea what they are, but that's my uneducated guess) have turned brown and fallen off, and I'm losing a consistent amount of leaves. But in random areas of the plant, not just the bottom or anything. I don't think that they're growing either. But old leaves sometimes get the same reddish patches that the ferns do, but it can be rubbed off. I don't know what it is?? I know my light wattage is pretty low, but wouldn't the top leaves be doing well at least? 1 15W fluorescant tube. 8000k

The reddish patches sound like diatoms, does it come off in a cloud of dust? If so it will go away on its own.

Is there any new growth on the moneywort at all? It does sound like you need more light for it. It could be adjusting to the tank as well.

Well, I added 2 13w cfls making the lighting(6500k) almost double it was... The seed pod things still seem to die at a regular interval. But no longer deteriorating, which is a good sign. And the java fern is taking off, so I'm happy!

Back
Top Bottom