Loaches and Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mohican

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I'm considering getting a yoyo loach to help combat snails as I guess they do eat some snails. I don't want clown loach as they can get very large. Will yoyo loach work well? Has anyone had any luck or better advice on snail eating fish? Will loaches dig up or disturb plants?

As far as I know, most (if not all) loaches will eat snails.

Depends on how many snails you have. Sometimes the leaf under a dish works, but YoYo loach was recommended to me for snails. However, again, this depends on how badly you are infested with them. If you see one ramshorn, best believe you have a zillion hiding in the sand.

I realize they eat snails but my question is do they Uproot plants?

They're great fish. Shallow rooted runner type plants like micro swords and glosso may be uprooted in places but I've kept them for years with stems, crypts and swords, etc. without any issues whatsoever. If I still had my big planted tanks I'd have one.

Thanks, that helps a lot. All of my plants are well rooted by now but just trying to figure out my possible next fish purchase. Will my Angels do well?

What size is your tank? Just to say, I keep an Eastern American Newt in my tank to eat small breeding snails. He loves them! They're not as active as YoYos and he still uproots my glosso though. *sigh* I just like that they're native to my area.

My tank is 125. I thought about assassin snails bit not sure if my lfs has them. It pains me to pay for snails. That lead me to yoyo loach, plus they don't get very large.

Back
Top Bottom