looking at going more serious into plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moose9

Aquarium Advice Activist
i have a 35g tank up for about 3 years now, it has a few live plants in there but the growth is minimal, im thinking of getting a glass top so i can get another light fixture in there, what lights should i look into, what ferts ect

65-100 watts of power CF lighting. 65 being medium light and 100 being high light before major effort has to be made to keep up with the tank. A top isn't needed if you have the legs for the fixture and don't believe your fish will jump out. I don't have any experience with PCF but many others do and there should be lots of recommendations. When I get my first one I will be getting the Jebo Odessea just because of price, nothing else. There are many lights out there that will fill the need better than the Jebo. Also remember, CO2 is a definate need

As for fertilizers, I would only recommend Gregs Watsons Dry fertilizers. Iron Chelate, CSM+B, KH2PO4, K2SO4, KNO3, MgSO4(epson salt), and maybe the tank stabalizer although I don't remember what it is called. Some get calcium and there are other things they get but I don't know anything about them.

How wide is the tank? It will determine whether you'll be getting the 65W CF or the 96W CF.

As for ferts, Greg Watsons is used by many here. It allows you to mix your own, as well as save you money. About the only ferts you need is CSM+B for your traces, Monopotassium Phosphate (KH2PO4), Potassium Nitrate (KNO3), and Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4). And if you feel you might need a little extra Iron or Magnesium, you can get the Iron Chelate and the Magnesium Sulfate, but not really necessary, IMO. Don't bother with any of the other products, as they are not needed at all.

Back
Top Bottom