Looking for a colorful plant rec

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lardeelion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just starting out with plants...looking for a little color and/or texture in the tank. Red, or yellowish, or anything besides green.

55 gallon community, fluorite, no CO2; just Flourish Excel, root tabs and liquid ferts. 10,000k bulb and a 6,500 daylight. So far I've just got the beginner plants: wisteria, swords, java fern, anubias, crypt. I have a tiny sprig of ludwigia that was mixed in with a wisteria bunch that I do like.

Learning as I go. Thanks!

Rotala Indica is mostly green but at the tops they get a nice reddish/pink color to them. They are a nice plant. I have quite a few in my tank and love them! I know there are tons more but my brain isnt working too well this morning!! :)

This is a list of all the red/pink/orange/yellow range plants I use:

Limnophila aromatica 'hippuroides'
Proserpinaca Palustris
Myriophyllum tuberculatum
Nesaea pedicellata 'Golden'
Rotala macrandra
Rotala Wallichii

You can see the various colors in my tank at http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/220g-planted-newly-rescaped-231568.html

I like alot of color in my tank, probably more than most, but even adding alittle can just give your tank a whole new look.

Forgot to add Red Tiger Lotus. They have unique shaped leaves and can really add a nice touch of color and they don't require high light.

This is a list of all the red/pink/orange/yellow range plants I use:

Limnophila aromatica 'hippuroides'
Proserpinaca Palustris
Myriophyllum tuberculatum
Nesaea pedicellata 'Golden'
Rotala macrandra
Rotala Wallichii

You can see the various colors in my tank at http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/220g-planted-newly-rescaped-231568.html

I like alot of color in my tank, probably more than most, but even adding alittle can just give your tank a whole new look.

Rivercats, without sounding like a creepy stalker - hopefully - I've been admiring your tank for 3 months, long before I officially joined the forum! It's stunning!

Good suggestions everyone. I appreciate it!

Rivercats, without sounding like a creepy stalker - hopefully - I've been admiring your tank for 3 months, long before I officially joined the forum! It's stunning!

Good suggestions everyone. I appreciate it!

Thanks but even it is still a work in progress! You should be able to grow alot of plants with that lighting. One I would really suggest is Limnophila aromatica 'hippuroides'. It doesn't ship the best but you can usually cut the bottoms off the stems to get it going. Once it really takes off you can cut the growing tops off and plant them to make a larger stand. Then often the bottoms will sprout 2 stems where you cut it. The reason I like it so is it gets these incredibly bright pink tops, usually about the top 3-4 inches. Plus the stems and leaves get really large and it makes and incredible statement. Another really stunning plant is Proserpinaca Palustris. Sometimes it comes in its emmersed form and you have to wait for the leaves to change and it usually comes in green but after being under good light it can turn orange, pretty bright orange if light is high enough. With a 55 you don't have an overly deep tank like my 30" deep one so your light will be good. But most of all don't be afraid to use color.

Back
Top Bottom